• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Balanced diy tube preamp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I read in a german forum although this was guitar amp related that once someone tried the 6N2P instead of the 12AX7 he used the 6N2P basically everywhere and never went back.
But no mentioning of reasons anywhere.

So far heater connection is different and heater to cathode potential is limited to 100v vs. 200v for 12AX7.

If you need about 20-23 dB of gain you can use 2 x 6N6 each channel in SRPP.

The + signal in input became - at the output. So the input XLR pin is 2 and the out will be 3
and the + signal became - . The pin in input is 3 and the out is 2.

The Zout is around 300 ohm; the + V must be around 220 Vdc with max 10 mA each tube.

That's all.

Walter

You can have a ss rectifier with a double stage of C-L-C filters, better one for each channel.
Or you can use a tube rectifier 6X4, for example, with same tipology of filtering.

I am using a ss power regulator so the ripple will be almost zero also at the frequency of 100 Hz, the double of 50 Hz, this is important .
With a C-L-C you can have a good filter but at that frequency is difficult to reach a great results.

In attach the schema on doc is simple and it can be found in internet
The SHT board is th one I have done with my friend , it is very smart, two channel with some possibility of configuration .
Now it is as proto, I don't know if will be available soon. I installed it in some my project mainly in phono e line preamp.
The performance on regulation and ripple are very good.

Walter

Attachments

• eagleUp_SHT stereo_board_top.jpg
    eagleUp_SHT stereo_board_top.jpg
    856.2 KB · Views: 330
  • Power reg.doc
    32 KB · Views: 99
I have a question about this kind of balanced in/balanced out preamp.

If the signal to the input is balanced, and you feed that to the + and - inputs of a twin-triode differential balanced stage, is the 'long tail' necessary?

If the input signal is already balanced, and the tubes are reasonably close in characteristics, won't the amplified outputs also be balanced?

Thanks.

http://www.nutshellhifi.com/Raven-MarkII.gif

This looks like it will sound very good.
But parts are very expensive.

I'd also vote for this design personally. I built a headphone amp with a similar topology not long ago and it sounds good. Shop around for alternative iron and you could lower the cost without too much trouble. You can also simplify the vol control by shunting the phases together with a single stereo pot instead of a four gang pot that shunts all phases to ground.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.