• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

GU-46 push-pull & single-ended amplifiers

Up Date, ongoing work on PSU

All transformers and chokes have finally arrived.

Nearly 40kg of custom wound toroid transformers from toroid.pl

Nearly 40kg of output transformers and custom wound chokes from ogonowski.eu

Output Transformer SE 150W 4.5k/8&16Ohm, 13.7kg in EI 150/93 - 16 Ohm tab will be used as 8Ohm tab to get 150W, 2.2k/8Ohm

First level with transformers, safety diodes, rectifiers, "low" voltage chokes (650VDC), russian 4uF caps.
Seconds level with high voltage chokes (1200 VDC) and caps.
Rectifier Tubes: 4x 5C8S per channel

Schematics will be updated

Attachments

• image1-2.jpeg
    image1-2.jpeg
    899.4 KB · Views: 394
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    838 KB · Views: 390
  • image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    835.3 KB · Views: 383
  • image4.jpeg
    image4.jpeg
    773.8 KB · Views: 391
  • IMG_0970.jpg
    IMG_0970.jpg
    587.1 KB · Views: 379
Last edited:
Hi jazbo
Wiring is a bit messy on the lower level, but this is on the AC side only, DC is less messy.

The amp is a stereo amp, all parts in one rack, made of industrial aluminium profiles and plates. High voltage areas will be covered with 6mm plexy.

A Siemens Logo 8 will manage the start up and shut down procedure of the amplifier, switching heater transformers, bias transformers, high voltage transformers and the signal relais on and off.
Including a safety loop for closed housing.

Low ampere DC heaters will be regulated with tentlab supplies - why reinvent the weel.

For the GU-46 I am still looking for a good DC regulating solution, 13V unregulated DC in, 8.3V regulated DC Out at 15A.

Does anyone have a simple and effective schematic for these currents?

Last edited:
@ kodabmx I would prefer to go the classic way with a voltage regulator

@ jazbo AC heated GU-46, even with a SE output stage? I am a bit afraid to so, I wouldn't want to reopen the box for just having chosen the easiest way in the worst case.

Does anyone else have experience with voltage regulators for low voltages (8.3V DC) in high current environments (15++ A)?

Last edited:
I have just finished my high current regulator for the GU-46

It works pretty well, set up as follows

- bridge rectifier 60A/40V
- SL32-2R005
- Common mode choke 1.3mH/20A
- 300000uF Sprague Powerlytic 36DX
- Elvees's regulator (see link below, Post #5)
delivering 8.3V DC with not measurable AC

Unfortunately my GU-46 tube seems to have lost vacuum, it develops smoke inside when heated, something I have never seen in any other tube. Tube will be replaced.

Low voltage regulator for high current consumer

Attachments

• IMG_0999.jpg
    IMG_0999.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 285
Last edited:
Have always used L-C filters for heating supplies. In this case, where it is the ripple and not absolute voltage that counts, the capacitance you already have, in combination with some fraction of a Hy should get quite quiet. In any case, I do not worry about SE implementations, and in PP even the 10V of an 813 is quiet.
cheers,
Douglas

Up date

PSU is nearly finished, 8.3V voltage regulator for GU-46 filament, tentlabs regulators for 6.3V heaters, voltage regulators for GU-46 grid and bias regulator.

Additional voltage regulators available in case of need.

Attachments

• IMG_1021.jpg
    IMG_1021.jpg
    976.6 KB · Views: 446
  • IMG_1019.jpg
    IMG_1019.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 446
  • IMG_1020.jpg
    IMG_1020.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 424
Last edited:
up date

small update

new pictures from the amp, Pete Millets 12hg7 driver is installed to drive the GU-46 - maybe i will change this later to an other tube type

the bridge rectifiers of the filament supplies for the GU-46 need to be replaced since they got so hot that they de-soldered themselfes

The HV is rectified with 4 5C8S tubes per channel, visible in the lower tube compartment. all tubes are shielded with Lexan / Plexy

A schematic of the latest set up will be postet as soon as the amp runs properly

the adjustable negative feedback is not yet tested

and yes... the white silicone does not look too sexy but i was too lazy to fix the wiring with screws (an wanted to avoid metal debris in the lower compartments)

Attachments

• bild 1.jpg
    bild 1.jpg
    845.9 KB · Views: 358
  • bild 2.jpg
    bild 2.jpg
    652.6 KB · Views: 344
  • bild 3.jpg
    bild 3.jpg
    674.3 KB · Views: 369
Last edited: