Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

EL509 OTL for high impedance speaker array
EL509 OTL for high impedance speaker array
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th December 2017, 08:44 AM   #1
Mikael Abdellah is offline Mikael Abdellah  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Default EL509 OTL for high impedance speaker array

I think I would like to try and build a OTL amp based on EL509, but I would like to run a single tube and construct a large array of high impedance speakers to achieve a suitable impedance for the output tube without using parallel tubes. What would be a good impedance for a EL509 or similar tube? I was thinking just above 3kOhm. How do I calculate and decide working parameters? Desired frequency range is roughly 250Hz-16kHz so this is no attempt to build the ultimate OTL amplifier capable of driving everything, I just want to satisfy my curiosity and build another tube amp
Old 5th December 2017, 03:32 PM   #2
artosalo is offline artosalo  Finland
diyAudio Member

As a Circlotron some 500 to 1k would be fine.
I have built - not an OTL - but Circlotron(s) with 1k load and two JJ EL509.
With 480 V +Ub the output is 100 W with less than 1% THD and no GNFB.
Old 6th December 2017, 07:33 AM   #3
Mikael Abdellah is offline Mikael Abdellah  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Thank you artosalo. I think I will keep it simple and just use a single tube. The circlotron looked a bit more advanced than I was aiming for. Also, I don't need that much power. I would be happy with a bit over 10W which shouldn't be a problem with a EL509.
Old 6th December 2017, 09:23 AM   #4
tubetvr is online now tubetvr
diyAudio Member

I did my first OTL test with the circuit described by Philips for EL86, I didn't use EL 86 but some other tubes that I had including PL509, (0.3A series heater version of EL509). The result was so good that I continued to develop OTLs. This schematic is simple and use 2 tubes but it is not 100% balanced and give a lot of 2nd order distortion but sound is quite good!

Click the image to open in full size.

Components need to be adjusted for other tubes than EL86

EL509 OTL for high impedance speaker arrayHide this!Advertise here!