Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Power transformer (advise needed)
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th December 2017, 06:24 PM   #21
Tom1973 is offline Tom1973  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullRangeMan View Post
but none of them list what you actually have to specify.
PM member E55L2 here: Login
He is from Holand, Martin will guide you, he have huge experience and can made everything you need.
Thanks for the tip! I assume you're referring to Martin Mug. I've come across his name before in a Dutch forum, but was unaware that he actually started a transformer winding business. Still, I would love to have some understanding of what makes a good power transformer before I contact a winder to have something wound to specification.

Tom
Old 4th December 2017, 06:56 PM   #22
Tom1973 is offline Tom1973  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieter t View Post
You might check transformers offered by Thomas Mayer.
He has a range of power supply transformers; one of those would likely suit your wishes nicely.
These transformers are high quality (well impregnated; double screening; outer flux band; quiet operation).
Reasonably priced.
Hi Pieter, I've had a look at Thomas' transformers and they do look promising. He's the first source that I've come across that actually lists specifications of the transformers instead of just stating that they can be wound to customer specification. Also, he uses the transformers in his own builds (very beautiful stuff) which gives me some sort of confidence.

I' believe would need two transformers as he uses a separate filament transformer for the DHT's. Is there any benefit in using a separate transformer for this purpose?

Tom
Old 4th December 2017, 09:46 PM   #23
Schmitz77 is offline Schmitz77  Germany
Sin Bin

Quote:
You might check transformers offered by Thomas Mayer.
He has a range of power supply transformers; one of those would likely suit your wishes nicely.
These transformers are high quality (well impregnated; double screening; outer flux band; quiet operation).
Reasonably priced.
VinylSavor: transformers
Scroll down.
Pieter,
you might recommend him because you are doing business with him, but he isnt willing to sell individual transformers build to the specs of customers other than his own that he uses for his designs. And he is more interested in selling complete kits incl. trannies not single transformers.

Last edited by Schmitz77; 4th December 2017 at 09:54 PM.
Old 4th December 2017, 09:50 PM   #24
Sin Bin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTecson View Post
different strokes for different folks....that is all...
I do think thats only your personal opinion, sir.
You cannot make a claim that counts maybe for yourself into a general claim. Because in the end its all physics. And in physics there are rules, no claims like "different strokes for different folks". Thats nonsense.
Old 4th December 2017, 10:02 PM   #25
pieter t is offline pieter t  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

@Tom: separate filament transformers are a must, as with DHT's the filament (= cathode) is audio.
When using another way of heating, for example Rod Coleman's heater supplies, you might come away with a single power supply transformer, but, also for the sake of start up, a separate filament transformer is best.
@Schmitz: yes I do business with Thomas, but I have no commercial interest in what he does with parts.
I had a pair of his power supply transformers for a SE 300B, which are wound on "normal" EI cores, but very well finished. Very good quality with screening and so on. Thomas sources these with a German company to his specifications, and when I am right you can buy the standard transformers which you will find on his blog.
Old 4th December 2017, 10:12 PM   #26
Sin Bin

Quote:
Thomas sources these with a German company to his specifications, and when I am right you can buy the standard transformers which you will find on his blog.
Brian Sowter is producing excellent all kinds of trannies, too. And he is willing to tailor exactly to the customers specifications.

Last edited by Schmitz77; 4th December 2017 at 10:16 PM.
Old 4th December 2017, 10:18 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

No idea Schmitz; one could compare Thomas' transformer (which are made in "quantities" to cut price) pricewise with a custom made transformer from whatever company...
Old 4th December 2017, 10:34 PM   #28
Sin Bin

The price cut will surely be more than outweighted by the fact that you are buing trannies from an amp manufacturer instead of buying at the source. But you already know that.
Old 4th December 2017, 10:50 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

No I don't. No idea how much Thomas charges for his transformers; no idea how much Sowter or any company charges for a hiqh quality custom power supply transformer.
But, Schmitz, I quit discussing with you as it starts to go off topic.
Maybe the OP is not interested in price but primarily in quality, so what?
Old 4th December 2017, 11:07 PM   #30
TonyTecson is offline TonyTecson  Philippines
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
No I don't. No idea how much Thomas charges for his transformers; no idea how much Sowter or any company charges for a hiqh quality custom power supply transformer.
But, Schmitz, I quit discussing with you as it starts to go off topic.
Maybe the OP is not interested in price but primarily in quality, so what?
me neither, i only sell completed amps, not individual transformers,
and you are right PieterT, perhaps this thread ought to be closed, the OP seems
disinterested...

Power transformer (advise needed)Hide this!Advertise here!