• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Changing an antiquated design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I got an old console amp where there was one 12AX7 for the phono section and another 12AX7 as a paraphase driving push pull 7189's, cathode bias.

The amp will be used with a preamp so I was thinking of gutting it and changing the circuit around. I want to do away with the phono and equalization so that leaves one whole bottle to play with.

Four triodes seems like a lot to drive 7189's in pentode mode so any ideas what to do with the extra bottle would be warmly appreciated.

Here is what I came up with so far;

Attachments

• knight.png
    knight.png
    43.8 KB · Views: 205
KISS. A 12AX7 section voltage amplifier DC coupled to a 12AU7 section split load phase splitter. Wire 1 channel to use only system #1 and the 2nd channel to use only system #2. When the tubes show signs of wear, exchange them between the 2 channels.

Other than UL vs. pentode, the Dyna ST-35 is a good starting point.

Attachments

• Dynaco ST-35 Schematic.jpg
    Dynaco ST-35 Schematic.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 175
Brilliant!!! I love the idea of swapping tubes between channels as they are using different triode sections per bottle.

I was figuring since I'm powering the heaters I'd do something with em. Maybe a 6BL8 where the pentode is a load for the triode section, feed that to a LTP.

Are there any noval voltage regulators?

Yes it will be stereo. But for discussion purposes the 4 triodes would be for a single channel. Each channel originally has 4 triodes, two were for a phono stage. I am looking to use the two triodes per channel for something besides a phono section. My first schematic I drew up uses four medium mu triodes. The original design used about 16db feedback, my design uses 20db along with nested feedback. It should be cleaner at higher output.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.