• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6n7gt

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Anyone done anything with a 6n7gt?--I was looking to use it as a driver for a couple of pl/el509 valves, and want to be able to drive the grids positive (AB2?), in an OTL (Sweep Tube Monoblock)

Would this valve replace a 5687 for this sort of highish power job?

Any views on if this valve is any good as to sound or distortion? I cant find much about it save its specifications!

Thanks!

6N7 but not gt

Hi,

The first amp I built uses a 6N7 as the volt amp/floating paraphase splitter. It is run in the low current Class A mode seen on the datasheet. It sounds great, no reservations at all.

I also have a late forties Stromberg-Carlson 6L6 amp that uses the 6N7 as the driver. Sounds very nice as well. Haven't tried the glass tube though.

Michael

I think these are quite useful for a push pull circuit, they could be great in a long tailed pair.

Most LTP circuits call for the cathodes of the driver triodes being connected together with a resistor to ground, in a 6N7 the cathodes are internally connected so its ideal..

I have a NOS sylvania, i have struggled to use it anywhere tho.

I would think there would be tubes much more suited for cathode follower operation than a 6N7GT.

What about using a triode connected pentode designed for use as a video amplifier? Like 6AG7 or 6AC7 or 12GN7. All of them are cheap, available and have loads of Gm.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.