• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Raise VR tube string's output voltage

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2008
Paid Member
If making a pentode screen voltage supply using cold cathode VR tubes, can the voltage at the screen connection be raised above the VR tube's voltage by using a series resistor?
I'm thinking that using a potentiometer would give some fine tuning capability but don't have enough experience with cold cathode VR tubes to know if the added resistance can create problems. I have 100V rated tubes but want to add 50-60VDC.
If OK, would it be best to put it at the top of the string (Vout to screen) or at the bottom ( connection to the pentode's cathode)?

Thanks !

This really depends a lot on the currents involved. I've tried this before, and I've only had success when the current demands of the screen were tiny and I could run lots of current though the shunt reg tubes.

A simple series regulator will free you up to have whatever DC voltage you want!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.