• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Tube line stage with unbalanced input, balanced outputs?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey all,

I built a knock-together line stage with 6FQ7 common cathode stage into a 6DJ8 cathodyne phase splitter. I used it into a couple of low-gain push-pull tube amps with good results. However, I'm playing with a pair of JBL LSR305 powered speakers which have balanced inputs with low 10k input impedance. The 6DJ8 cathodyne doesn't do very well into that low of an input impedance.

I read in MerlinB's chapter on the cathodyne that it's not really suitable as a cable driver. It's prone to picking up hum on the plate (anode) side. I think that's happening in my setup.

But I'd still like to make a tube line stage with gain of about 10, unbalanced inputs and balanced outputs, that can drive 10 foot balanced cables into 10k ohm loads. Is there a good, proven circuit for accomplishing this?

I just bought an Impasse pcb, and I'm still planning on trying that, but would an LTP with MOSFET source follower outputs be better for this particular application? I'm thinking a 6N6P LTP with 10k plate loads and a CCS in the tail, DC coupled to something simple like IRFBC20 MOSFETs, would work well.

Or will the Impasse be perfectly adequate for this?

--

Consider something like a 5687 driving a phase splitting transformer. With this setup you get galvanic isolation. The 5687 has better drive capabilities than the 6DJ8. However something like the ECC99 might even be better and then you could consider a bit of a step down to gain some extra drive capabilities.

Shoog

You can setup the 6FQ7 as a differential amp with the cathodes tied together an a CCS under the cathodes. In similar projects, I have simply rectified the 6.3V heater winding and grounded the + side to make a -8V DC rail to feed the CCS to help with compliance.

The LTP can drive your 6DJ8s, which I would just setup as a pair of cathode followers.

If you have sufficient voltage, there isn't any reason you couldn't directly couple this. Such a setup will also give you opportunity to use balanced inputs down the road if you so desire.

Just gathering the opinions/info. I did not say 10K load anywhere ))

Yeah, I thought about 1:4+ too, let's say the fixed bias Rg is 330K, as there are 2 => 165K, with 1+1:4+4 IT it gives perfectly 10K load of each triode, do I get it correct?

I'd still like to make a tube line stage with gain of about 10, unbalanced inputs and balanced outputs, that can drive 10 foot balanced cables into 10k ohm loads. Is there a good, proven circuit for accomplishing this?

Ron, the circuit provided has roughly 10X gain and the cojones of a blue whale. Add a Sowter 3603 to each channel and you have balanced O/Ps and galvanic isolation.

Attachments

• Deluxe Hybrid Line Stage.jpeg
    Deluxe Hybrid Line Stage.jpeg
    569.2 KB · Views: 359
26dB is a LOT of gain for a typical linestage. The drive requirements of the F4 are rather unusual.

Fair comment. My point is that some of the ideas being thrown out didn't really embody some thought as to overall performance for the required role, including some suggestions with necessarily bad CMRR.

To give you more of an idea of what I am getting at, a lot of the ideas thrown out for tube stages with SS loads to lower distortion. I had a look at Bill Whitlock's recent paper on bootstrapped line receivers and the tube schematics at Jensen. Very little emphasis on the details of active stages, much more emphasis on circuit topology. Remember, they are recommending circuits for pro audio, so good, quiet performance is necessary, even if they are biased as to transformer application.

As a side note, I noticed that what they call ultra high performance balanced drivers used 2 transformers, 1 before the active device, and 1 after. I'm gonna have to use that sometime :)

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
With a good cascode CCS load the gain will be mu, and that is because the AC load is essentially infinite in comparison the rp of the tube, and there is no significant AC loading in the following stage..

Don't forget that Vpp is 6dB greater at the output due to the balanced output. So gain is in fact closer to 32dB input to differential output.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.