• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

120 Hz driving me nuts

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am building a stereo SE Amp with 6SN7's and KT88's. I built the Amp one channel at a time and got them running great! When the second channel was finished it tested fine as well. When I hook up my audio system pre-amp I get 120Hz hum. If I only drive one channel its fine(short the other channel to GND), both simultaneously I get hum. The hum is interesting (attached) It looks like a capacitor charging curve and is inverted on the opposite channel. I have attached my schematics and a picture of the scope connected to the KT88 coupling cap. I thought I was good at electronics until this one. Any input would be greatly appreciated I have been at this a while. I'm missing something!

Attachments

• SCOPE_HUM.jpg
    SCOPE_HUM.jpg
    497.8 KB · Views: 273
  • AMP-SE_v2_scope.jpg
    AMP-SE_v2_scope.jpg
    262.4 KB · Views: 281
  • AMP_SE_PS_V20.jpg
    AMP_SE_PS_V20.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 290
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Ground loop. Place a ground loop breaking network between the internal audio ground and the chassis safety ground. (Anti-parallel diodes in parallel with a 4.7 - 10 ohm 3W resistor - size diodes for worst case fault current in event of a direct primary to secondary short in the power transformer, you can use a high current bridge rectifier if you prefer.)

I had a similar problem when I connected my st120 to my Preamp. The problem was I had a polarized two prong power cord on the amp and a three prong power cord on the Preamp. Replaced the two prong with a three prong and problem solved. This may or may not help, but thought I would pass it along.

In my amp I use a series dropping resistor 300R into a 2200uf cap, and have a time delay relay short the resistor after 10 seconds...

A similar dropping resistor could work on the OPs amp.

I use one of these: NE555 DC 12V Delay Relay shield Timer Switch Adjustable Module 0 To 10 Second | eBay

I also had a hum on the phono input of my amp. Went away with a "cheater" cord, but I own one of the few grounded turntables...

I have a good feeling this would fix it, and perhaps the OPs problem, too.
House%20GND%20Schematic.png

Last edited:
Thanks everyone, I really needed the reminders to pay attention to grounds. I know that you probably answer the same question multiple times weekly but I appreciate your feedback. Ultimately I Pulled all my grounds back to a signal ground (this solved 85-90%) then I connected it to earth/chassis ground with 10 Ohm / 100nF Cap and diode network and that got it to showroom quality(undetectable hum/buzz by ear). The Diodes are a great idea to force the fuse to blow just in case signal ground changes significantly relative to earth ground. I will also drop the size of my tank capacitor to 60 uF as suggested but I don't have one handy just yet. Again Thanks!!

Thanks everyone, I really needed the reminders to pay attention to grounds. I know that you probably answer the same question multiple times weekly but I appreciate your feedback. Ultimately I Pulled all my grounds back to a signal ground (this solved 85-90%) then I connected it to earth/chassis ground with 10 Ohm / 100nF Cap and diode network and that got it to showroom quality(undetectable hum/buzz by ear). The Diodes are a great idea to force the fuse to blow just in case signal ground changes significantly relative to earth ground. I will also drop the size of my tank capacitor to 60 uF as suggested but I don't have one handy just yet. Again Thanks!!

According to the diagram your FB is grounded.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.