• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Ebay Tube Kit 6P3P

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I took another look at the underside of the amp on Ebay and the picture clearly shows the red wire on the primary side of the OPT going to the output tube plate. I've learned a lot with this thread. At my age though of 68 I will probably forget next time I have the same problem. Thankfully I have this forum to consult. I am having much fun with electronic projects in my retirement years. Thanks guys.

This is a nice sounding amplifier for a first build using just a schematic for diy'ers wishing for an "all in one kit" to test their abilities. Fortunately I took some electronic lessons in my youth but using a schematic is not that hard if one just tries and marks each step, much as using a guide sheet.

Last edited:
I have seen more than my fair share of these cheap Chinese kits/amps on the bench , all with failed mains transformers . The power transformers are marginal and run hot , really a 200VA unit should have been fitted in place of the 150VA

Don't leave these amps running unattended if it's a particularly hot day !

cheers

316a

I expected that if there were a failure, weak spot, on one of these Chinese amplifiers it would be the power supply transformer. That being said, the transformer on this build is not running too hot. I have other builds using Edcor transformers that run hotter. The PS transformer is one of the more expensive components of a tube build. Still even buying an Edcor transformer in the USAa few months, years, down the road still makes the kit a good deal for a first time builder wanting experience, to learn. It was more of "wanting to build" for me than a main amplifier. As of right now I have around 30 amplifiers both SS and tubes laying around. Sonically it sounds really good especially when one considers the cost. Looks nice as well.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.