Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Designing a Single-Ended Triode EL34 Power Amp
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th November 2017, 10:27 AM   #21
Schmitz77 is offline Schmitz77  Germany
diyAudio Member

I would suggest to copy one of the great SET designs, its simply stupid to invent the wheel a second time. In tube audio schematics, everything has been done a dozen times already. Nothing new under the sun if you prefer a classic design. Even SRPP or other special circuits have been done by the japanese since 40 years. The other great designs came from 50 years before or older. But EL34/EL84 was the great time of push-pull. So if you want SET you have to search for tubes like 6V6 or other old octals.
If you have the intention to build SET, you should know before why (because of a special kind of sound quality that is preferable). Otherwise you could build PP like all other people will do. In the end, a great PP design eats any badly designed SET for breakfast. Its fast and its furious. SET tends, in most cases, to be slow and blurry sounding. Most of them indeed sound so boring to my ears, I would not prefer them. And 99% of all amateur circuits on the net have great faults either in circuit design or in the dimension of component values. So better to copy a professional circuit.
Old 10th November 2017, 01:06 PM   #22
LeftHandFool is offline LeftHandFool  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I understand where you're coming from. There are obviously hundreds of tried and tested designs out there, all of which will likely be better than my own design.

I've built a half dozen amps from kits and schematics already - this project represents an attempt to actualy learn how an amp works, rather than simply assembling one parrot fashion.

I'm perfectly clear in my own mind about what I want to do, and why I want to do it, I just need a little help with the how.
As you say, re-inventing the wheel is stupid, but it's my time/money to waste as I see fit, it certainly won't be the most stupid thing I've ever done .

Matt.
Old 11th November 2017, 03:36 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

OK Matt, then here you go...

So why not taking one of the great Klangfilm designs and take it a step further? Theres often something to improve in the power supply section and some tube types to change and play around.

Last edited by Schmitz77; 11th November 2017 at 03:38 AM.
Old 12th November 2017, 11:16 AM   #24
kokoriantz is offline kokoriantz  Lebanon
diyAudio Member

Default reinventing the wheel

Extra power,higher DF,lower distortion from SE pentodes

try 3.3ohms (your design Ri) in series with your speakers and listen about an hour or two, than decide.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EL34IMAGE.JPG (146.3 KB, 338 views)
Old 13th November 2017, 02:23 AM   #25
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

I dont know if the OP is coming back after being bombarded by the whydoncha brigade but my suggestion is to build a test chasis. Get an Al chassis from Hammnd or equivalent and build your amp. Then test and play with the design, being very mindful of electrical safety. You can install extra parts, change things around, drill holes and cut outs all over the lace. Only when finished do you start with a new chassis, cut all the holes per the final design, paint it up and build it nice.

My first amp was build it right first time, only I rebuilt it twice and never tried out things that I should have, never learnd much. Later I got an experimental chassis from a friend who had finished with it and I started to play. I learned so much more and really enjoyed the process. I have found this by far the best way to learn and to develop a new design until I am happy with t. And its mre fun.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 13th November 2017, 09:33 AM   #26
LeftHandFool is offline LeftHandFool  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigun View Post
I dont know if the OP is coming back after being bombarded by the whydoncha brigade...
I had indeed ducked behind the couch, hoping they hadn't seen me. Have they gone now?

Quote:
...my suggestion is to build a test chasis. Get an Al chassis from Hammnd or equivalent and build your amp. Then test and play with the design, being very mindful of electrical safety. You can install extra parts, change things around, drill holes and cut outs all over the lace. Only when finished do you start with a new chassis, cut all the holes per the final design, paint it up and build it nice.
This is exactly what I plan to do (although I've a handful of old chassis knocking about, ripe for canibalisation - one expense spared!). Perhaps I should have made that clearer up front.
I've been messing around with electronics on and off most of my life (guitarist by nature, so I've mainly concerned myself with FX pedals and guitar amps, a bit of studio gear here and there).
The past two or three years I've finally knuckled down and tried to learn the theory behind the schematics, which has been a slow process but one I'm pleased I started. This amp will be by far the biggest challenge I've set myself, and - in spite of what some posters here assume - is a project I've given a lot of thought to.

I'm not setting my sights too high, in fact I'll settle - initially - for an amp which passes a signal from input to output without consuming any of it's constituent parts. Should I pass that hurdle, I'm expecting a lot of further head-scratching, part swapping and general tinkering - with maybe just a little fun thrown in - before arriving at a product which approaches listenable. But we'll see, maybe I'll get lucky...

Matt.
Old 13th November 2017, 11:29 AM   #27
Ketje is offline Ketje  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokoriantz View Post
listen about an hour or two, than decide.
If you like grid current at the input
Mona
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EL34hybr.jpg (102.4 KB, 285 views)
Old 13th November 2017, 10:30 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I dont know if the OP is coming back after being bombarded by the whydoncha brigade .
What are you doing differently than suggesting another possibility and mockering about other people???
Old 13th November 2017, 10:34 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlemingsLeftHandFool View Post

I'm not setting my sights too high, in fact I'll settle - initially - for an amp which passes a signal from input to output without consuming any of it's constituent parts.

Matt.
Everybody wants this but nobody has reached the goal.
Old 13th November 2017, 10:46 PM   #30
miklos is offline miklos  Hungary
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmitz77 View Post
What are you doing differently than suggesting another possibility and mockering about other people???
Take in stride Schmitz! Let the LeftHandFool build his amp, that's the best diy way.

Designing a Single-Ended Triode EL34 Power AmpHide this!Advertise here!