• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

PrimaLuna Prologue Two

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, done some tube rolling with my PL Prologue Two. The amp is now well burned in -approx.500 hours. Love the KT88´s for their controlled, steady and firm bass, but they lack the high resolution midrange from my El34´s. I´we been reading about people mixing power tubes, -combining the sound properties from different tubes. Thanks to the auto-bias in the PL i understand it´s possible.
I want to mix one El34-str with one KT88 on each channel.
But, as i understand, -it must be important to place the tubes symmetrically in the sockets for push resp. pull tubes -of each channel.
Anyone here know what sockets is push/pull -seen from front- left to right -sockets 1-4 ?
THANKS!

I thought it is an April 1st joke. .. checked my calendar, nope, it's October.
If you wanna some distortions you can unbalance the output stage a bit, I know guys who do that deliberately to "sweeten" the sound (could be not an option with auto-bias), or for natural way of having this try an SE amp.

From their product pictures in their web site, it should be Push-Pull-Push-Pull. It shouldn't matter left to right or right to left. Every 1/2 cycle, push turns into pull and so on.

BTW: I would stop at 6550 verse KT88 only. EL34 and K88 are two much different animals. But it is your amp, your tubes and your transformers :rolleyes:

Tube amp or calender issue?

As i belive this is a forum for tube amps, not calendars.

The idea with mixing tubes is a subject in other forums -even with PL dealers in europe. I´m a member in this forum, therefore i brought this matter up here. Hope its allright.

Thank you "alllensoncanon" for your reply. I have tested a setup with El´s in socket 1&3. The KT´s is dominating the sound, noticed that midrange response is improved. The combination seems to work, but admit, -the setup looks a bit strange!

Thank you for your advise.

Hi, done some tube rolling with my PL Prologue Two. The amp is now well burned in -approx.500 hours. Love the KT88´s for their controlled, steady and firm bass, but they lack the high resolution midrange from my El34´s. I´we been reading about people mixing power tubes, -combining the sound properties from different tubes. Thanks to the auto-bias in the PL i understand it´s possible.
I want to mix one El34-str with one KT88 on each channel.
But, as i understand, -it must be important to place the tubes symmetrically in the sockets for push resp. pull tubes -of each channel.
Anyone here know what sockets is push/pull -seen from front- left to right -sockets 1-4 ?
THANKS!
THis not a good idea, I would email Mr.Van Dungeon or the factory custumer service for a oficial word on the subject.

Mixing tubes

Hi, -Yes i started this experiment with first contacting Mr. van Dungen. He let me know that a few owners already has tried this thing out, and it´s completly safe to do.
You can mix any tube within the tube range of the amp. There are PL-amps in in a sellers showroom, think it is in Italy,- running (good) with four different powertubes, just to show the advantages with the autobias feature.
Been listening with this setup over the weekend and i am very pleased over the sound. The KT´s hold a firm grip on the bass and the El´s fills in just nicely at midrange. Just had to adjust the crossover-filters on my speakers due to the upper height of sound went a bit too "stiff".
So, it´s still a good idea to try out, (for PL owners anyway).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.