• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Best tube choice for 1st SET project?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is my 1st post. I have been thinking of building a single ended amp for a while now. I have some tubes around and I am not sure which ones I should use in my design. I have a pair of 6v6GTA's, some el-84's, and a bunch of 12ax/u/t7's. I've also got a pair of telefunken OPT's with 5k primarys. So, I need to decide on the power tubes before I can buy a PT. Any suggestions? I am not limited to the tubes I have, I can buy more. But I'd prefer not to spend a bunch of money on 2A3's or 300B's. Any thoughts will be appreciated. Thanks!

-Jared

Both 6V6 and EL84 are nice tubes to use. I would go for single ended pentode (SEP) mode with a little negative feedback. In pentode mode they need very little drive, 1/2 a 12AX7 or 12AT7 would be ok.

You could get fancy and drive each one with 1/2 12AU7 in cathode follower (i.e 1/2 12AX7 -> 1/2 12AU7 cathode follower -> EL84) This would give you a 5W amp with decent bass and nice overload characteristics.

EL84 will give you more power which is a good reason to use them. Also they sound sweeter than a 6V6, IMHO. I like the bigger cathodes too. However, 6V6 are pretty decent if you have a pair of them...

SE triode mode is another option, but power will be down to 1 or 2 watts and you will need a better driver stage. Still listenable, but unless your transformers are super, IMO not worth it.

Doing a search on the forums you would see this thread about the same thing.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.