• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Valve-Heart Recording Studio

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

John,

In the U.S. there's Sheffield Labs, headed by sound engineer Doug Sax, using an all tube system.

Manley is still recording full tube as well, I suppose...

Surely there must be others, some of them are still releasing on vinyl too.

Which kind of reminds of SY while in Lyon pondering on how on earth some engineers manage to compress the entire dynamic range away...
I you enjoy full scale music with natural dynamic range, tube recording is the only way IMHO.

I recall a few of David Manleys' early recording were you could easily tell the wooden structure of the recording studio AND him overusing those 12AT7As with their metallic sound again....Must be his fetish tube.

Sorry for the late reply, just came across it while looking for my OTL thread....

Cheers;)

12AT7 fetish

I recall a few of David Manleys' early recording were you could easily tell the wooden structure of the recording studio AND him overusing those 12AT7As with their metallic sound again....Must be his fetish tube.

ROTFLMAO!
He does go on and on about that tube in the VTL handbook! :D
IIRC didn't Mobile Fidelity use a toobed Studer Revox and so on?

Wayne

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

IIRC didn't Mobile Fidelity use a toobed Studer Revox and so on?

Possibly...never was too thrilled with MF though...

Come to think of it...never was too crazy about the Sheffields either, except perhaps the Prokofiev recordings and a few others.
The others sounded a little too tubey, darkish and indistinct, lacking depth...

Most of Manley's recordings were much more transparant and had much more sparkle and inner detail although the left-right balance wasn't always dead on either....
Aaargh...must have missed my vocation...:D

Cheers,;)

missed vocation

Aaargh...must have missed my vocation...

I hear that! My father played 5 string banjo in a bluegrass band back in the 50's & 60's. The "sanger" of the band owned a recording studio back then in Columbus Ohio. They may still be in buisiness but under a different owner, another ex-band member. I used to spend alot of time there when I was a child. That's what I wanted to do for a living but it never happened! Oh well... (sigh) Back then it was tube all the way! :drool:

Wayne

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.