• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

PP with IT: One or two driver tubes ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
..how amorphous is bad for hifi?
It's not bad but it isn't better at all.

high µ around 1 milion

It has lower permeability than high grade GOSS. On top of that the real cores have issues because the material is brittle and it is not easy to work with. Often parts do not match perfectly as GOSS, making leakage and minimum air gap worse. So actual permeability can be even worse.

If you take two Lundahl transformers that are identical but one with GOSS core and the other amorphous you will see that the the GOSS transformer is clearly better, including subjective sound impressions. The first impression I have always got is harshness (more overall distortion, I think) and this seems to be quite common with other users. The fact that such harsness "disappears" after a while only means that one gets used to it but in reality it is still there....I do not like it at all. It's just more expensive and not as good as Hi-B.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I found the data sheet: http://www.monolithmagnetics.com/sites/default/files/datasheets/Interstage-transformers/datasheet%20IT-03%2025%20interstage%20transformer%20prelim%20rev%2001.pdf ...{snip}... Leakage inductance of 0.20 mH in a gapped 75 H transformer is bogus. Most likely it is 20 mH at best, with all the interleaving that one can do. ...{snip}... So why frequency response extends to 260 kHz? The likely answer is, because of capacitive coupling between highly interleaved primary and secondary.

Reading the datasheet you cite, I find: There is one specific topology that does not suffer from the aforementioned limitations: a 1:1 interstage transformer. Typically, a bifilar wound transformer is used .....

Bifilar sure can reduce leakage L. 250KHz is not absurd.

Unloaded secondary in the test favors capacitive coupling. If this is 1:1 transformer, the more meaningful test would be one with 1.5 K source and 1.5 K load. I bet under such test it would be far, far away from 260 kHz.

To about 9KHz. BUT this IT would be used into "open grid", a nearly UN-loaded condition. No-load (or 100K as specced) will not run into leakage L until much higher frequency. If you want to run output grids positive.... ah, this thread is about push-pull output, and the IT-03 25 appears to be single-ended.

As for "saturation".... 140V at 20Hz is badly bent, yes. I would run 3X lower, near 50V, to stay below obvious saturation. Then we can up-rate with F. 20Hz is very rare in music. 50Hz is often the lowest strong tone. We can up-rate 50/20 to 116Vrms or 160V peak. Very few domestic power tubes need 160V peak drive. 2A3, 300B, run 40V-70V peak drive.

As for "hype"-- they have to sell the stuff, and sadly that has always meant hype.

Reading the datasheet you cite, I find: There is one specific topology that does not suffer from the aforementioned limitations: a 1:1 interstage transformer. Typically, a bifilar wound transformer is used .....

Bifilar sure can reduce leakage L. 250KHz is not absurd.

The particular transformer that I cited (IT-03 25) has "non-bifilar winding scheme".

Bifilar winding is not a magic bullet. It improves one characteristic (leakage inductance) at the expense of the other (winding capacitance). At high frequencies, a bifilar SE to SE transformer, especially one working into a high impedance load, will act not as transformer, but as coupling capacitor. For a coupling capacitor, 250 kHz is of course not absurd.

No-load (or 100K as specced) will not run into leakage L until much higher frequency.

Yes, if we regard high frequency rolloff due to leakage inductance. But leakage inductance poses the additional problem of transformer high frequency resonance, especially if the secondary is unloaded.

I would run 3X lower, near 50V, to stay below obvious saturation.

This is a guess that one wouldn't have to make if the manufacturer provided signal level in dBm for the rated frequency range.

Yes, if we regard high frequency rolloff due to leakage inductance. But leakage inductance poses the additional problem of transformer high frequency resonance, especially if the secondary is unloaded.
All transformers have resonances so the question is just how to use it properly. Its behaviour at resonance depends on the source impedance, leakage inductance, shunt capacitance and the load. No transformer is unloaded. The power tube is quite a load! Testing is done with a passive network but it's just a test to show what it's capable of....
Having no grid resistors across the secondary is a good thing! For sure it means maximum efficiency and no waste of power no matter how small it can be. If one needs resistors a priori it means that is the only way to avoid undamped resonances.

This is a guess that one wouldn't have to make if the manufacturer provided signal level in dBm for the rated frequency range.
dBm is not a unit created for and used in HiFi. NEVER. If the impedance changes the dBm value changes. It's useless for HiFi! At worst it could be used for low impedance line transformers such as 600R or 150R. But even there the common unit is dBu, I think.
There is no specific impedance for interstage transformers. It can be defined only if the secondary load is fixed. If an interstage transformer can only work with a specific fixed value resistor across the secondary to get 20KHz @-1dB or worse then it is not a good transformer in my book.

Last edited:
As for "saturation".... 140V at 20Hz is badly bent, yes. I would run 3X lower, near 50V, to stay below obvious saturation.

If 140V means saturation one can happily get at least 65-70V clean with standard cores, including EI (i.e. with 1.8T saturation induction they can run without troubles up to about 0.85T). High quality C cores are better than that and can run close to the onset of saturation without troubles.

Because magnetic saturation is asymptotic, it is impossible to tell at what exact H value saturation occurs, unless the B value is specified, for example 90%, 99%, or 99.9% of Bsat. This is why saturating signal voltage alone is meaningless in characterizing low frequency saturation distortion behavior of a transformer.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
The particular transformer that I cited (IT-03 25) has "non-bifilar winding scheme".{snip}

Yes-- I now see their writing is indirect and I mis-read and mis-spoke.

Perhaps Voltage (dBm is fraught with misunderstanding; has no meaning in a no-power coupling). But also THD @ that level, or we are still in the dark.

Because magnetic saturation is asymptotic, it is impossible to tell at what exact H value saturation occurs, unless the B value is specified, for example 90%, 99%, or 99.9% of Bsat. This is why saturating signal voltage alone is meaningless in characterizing low frequency saturation distortion behavior of a transformer.

It is impossible for someone that has no experience for sure.

Also let's not forget that here is a comparison between a SE-SE interstage vs a PP-PP.
In the SE interstage, depending on the operative conditions, saturation @20Hz might never occur because there is also another limit on the other side which imposes that Bac cannot be bigger than Bdc.
So those 140Vrms of the MM include the DC bias caused by 25 mA anode current and if anode current is lower, say 15mA, one might never reach saturation before zero crossing.....

The other point is that one can ask the manufacturer because details are not known. With vintage stuff it's either guessing or finding out AFTER buying, in addition to the limited frequency response.

To about 9KHz. BUT this IT would be used into "open grid", a nearly UN-loaded condition. No-load (or 100K as specced) will not run into leakage L until much higher frequency. If you want to run output grids positive.... ah, this thread is about push-pull output, and the IT-03 25 appears to be single-ended.

it can look like class A1 grid is hi-Z, but is not.
it does load the driver because of miller Ca-g -- with triodes this is not insignificant
example; 2A3 (at treble F), does skew loadline for a "typical ecc83" gain stage

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.