• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

How to add balance output to C22

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Modern ones have XLR inputs in addition to the RCAs. I do not know what they do internally with the XLR inputs.

Attached stock photo from the McIntosh MC-275 owner's manual showing balanced inputs.

The sensitivity is rated at 1.7V for unbalanced and 3.4V balanced which leaves me suspecting it is actually just an unbalanced input switched between RCA and XLR sockets in which case there really is no point to using it in this application.

Attachments

• mc275-1.png
    mc275-1.png
    508.2 KB · Views: 116
I would try them at 1+1:1.6 (parallel the secondary). Top of primary to the output capacitor, bottom of primary to ground. Ground the internal shield through a .01uF cap and add a switch to short that cap out to the preamp chassis ground (ground lift). Top of the parallel secondary to pin 2, bottom to pin 3, pin 1 to the shield. Gain and Zout will both go down a bit. You might need to play with the value of the output capacitor.

The cheapest and easiest way to convert the output to balanced is to copy AN003 figure 2.4 A Simple Alternative.
This was adopted by B.Putzeys in his balanced volume control.

If you need to spend money, then you can adopt figure 2.2 using the output transformer. But note that "BEST" is adopting figure 2.3 to FIX the input stage.

And you don't need the FIX if the Receiver is already balanced and you adopt figure 2.4

Attachments

• an003(1).pdf
    103.3 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.