• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

DuMont PL 509?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Anyone know who made PL 509s for DuMont? Saw some FS on line, but am not sure about the maker and quality.

Photo attached.

Any info would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Dumont PL 509.jpg
    Dumont PL 509.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 337
Based solely on the four square holes in the plate structure, I would guess early Sylvania. Dumont has been gone for many years so they are from the prime years of vintage tubes. If all the getters look good, I wouldn't be afraid of them.

Attachments

• 40KG6A.jpg
    40KG6A.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 336
I have an old DuMont TV in my house, all the tubes are still in it but none are labeled DuMont. The successor company to DuMont was MetroMedia, which ulitimately morphed into Fox, at least for broadcasting. I don't know what happened with the manufacturing, but I don't think they made any tubes. I have one DuMont tube, an 0C3, that is part of a mismatched quad of these. They all have different labels and all look exactly the same. It made me realize how little the label meant.

In Germany, the last tube equipped color TV's were produced until around 1972. Since then, sweep tubes were dedicated for replacement purposes only, and tube production completely ceased in 1975.

Fortunately I've designed the power transformers of my Circlotron monoblocks also for EL519's/6KG6A's, so I also may opt for these.

Best regards!

Also did Svetlana with their EL509II.

Please note that both weren't/aren't true EL509's, 'cause they feature the International Octal base instead of Magnoval, with the same pinout as the 6L6 etc. Thus, both should have been christened EL3XX. The Svetlana tube actually was a repackaged 6P45S, also sharing it's huge (2.5A) heater current.

Best regards!

Thanks for the replies. For some reason I was not getting notifications of new posts to this thread.

Still looking on ebay I've noticed a trend where valves - not just 509s - are listed as NOS, but often the photos raise questions. As an example have a look at:

2 Matched NOS NIB Amperex 40KG6A PL509 Audio Research Power Amp Tubes,Holland | eBay

Do folks think these are really NOS? The glass envelopes seem to indicate otherwise.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.