• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Tube stages and increased measured Dynamic Range (DR) - Explanation?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Legis said:
What do you mean, filter's phase distortion will affect the wave shape and thus the "dynamic range" of the wave form.
You are using a flawed definition of "dynamic range" if a linear filter can affect it. If you are talking about signal peak voltage amplitudes rather than RMS values then a filter will affect it, or if you are talking about different frequencies then you will also see an effect, but these are trivial issues which need no explanation.

For example, take a signal which has 1V of 1kHz for a while followed by 0.1V of 10kHz. This has a dynamic range of 20dB. Put it through a linear low pass filter which leaves the 1kHz unchanged but reduces the 10kHz to 0.05V. You now have a dynamic range of 26dB. So what?

Does someone have the skill to apply a normal phase disotortion of a 3-way or a 4-way speaker with 4th order filters (you can choose the xopoints) to the mentioned Opeth's song? (Please adjust the level so anything does not clip.)

I'm interested if this kind of phase distortion and "energy distribution distortion" or whatever you call it, increases - or decreases - the measured DR of compressed rock music and music in general. Phase distortion of a multi way speaker with steep filters transfer the energy from positive side (compression) to negative side (rarefaction) and vice versa and also distributes the energy more in relation to time and one might presume it does not result in "increased DR", might even decrease it? I know the chosen measurement, DR, is not very valid, but nevertheless interesting what are the typical effects of different kind of phase distortion to music's wave shape and measured DR.

Some type of phase distortion increases DR, like low freq high pass. Some type of phase distortion may decreases it? I'm not saying if this has something to do with how something sounds. Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't. I have always liked low order filters better, but the reasons are vastly more complex than possible effects on the DR and wave shape.

Last edited:
Right now on way out the door but can do it later tonight, its possible invert time in Rephase so will create a convolution filters there that replicate 3 or 4 way IIR speaker system then load filter into JRiver, on the other hand let me know if you interested yourself to run it and analyze then can share just the convolution filter itself and you can load it into Foobar.

Right now on way out the door but can do it later tonight, its possible invert time in Rephase so will create a convolution filters there that replicate 3 or 4 way IIR speaker system then load filter into JRiver, on the other hand let me know if you interested yourself to run it and analyze then can share just the convolution filter itself and you can load it into Foobar.

Yes please share, I would also like to test it. Please check that it results in "something like this" step response.

616BW802fig6.jpg

Have fun...

Two zip folders below one with B&K curve and one without and beside convolution file is also Rephase settings file inside folder if any settings should be wanted edited to generate a new different convolution file, convolution file is at 44,1kHz / 262144taps long / 32bit LPCM stereo wav file.

In below visual used the original Opeth track minus 6dB to get headroom in DSP engine and JRiver have nice function where it can output to disk writer instead of soundcard which is usefull for this situation with many taps long convolution filter because hole track only takes few seconds to convolute and be ready to analyze. To simulate linear phase plus IIR XO speaker used system stop bands at 10Hz plus 22kHz and XO points was 80/640/2560Hz 4th order LR.

Attachments

• 4000.png
    4000.png
    338 KB · Views: 64
  • 10Hz-22kHz_system_B-Kcurve_XO_80Hz_640Hz_2560Hz_at_44kHz.zip
    41 KB · Views: 26
  • 10Hz-22kHz_system_XO_80Hz_640Hz_2560Hz_at_44kHz.zip
    31.8 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.