Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Red Light District - Build Thread
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th August 2017, 02:51 AM   #31
sthcoaster is offline sthcoaster  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Zenith View Post
the polypropylene cutting board.
I think I've seen this stuff used in some of Peter Daniels Gainclones?

Enjoying your build. Great stuff. Plenty of ideas here. Thanks for sharing
Old 12th August 2017, 07:31 PM   #32
Mr_Zenith is offline Mr_Zenith  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Creative cooling...

One of the things I usually neglect at this stage of a given build is to make the bottom plates. It's not that I don't believe they're needed, but I just get so wrapped up in the excitement of building that they become one of those "back burner" items. Of course they're necessary for shielding and safety, but they're not absolutely essential for an amp to function. And let's be honest here, they're usually out of sight - and quite frankly - boring.

You can see at once the flaws in this logic. Telling yourself you'll do it later is tantamount to never getting it done, and any future work is by definition a retrofit - with the attendant risk of damaging the "finished" amp. No, better to do it now and truly enjoy the finished product.

So I began by routing a "rabbet" (or rebate, if you prefer) in both bays (amplifier and power supply) to the same depth as the thickness of the plate material. Next, the material itself was cut and shaped to fit the routed area. Finally, holes were drilled in the plate to allow for cooling.

The finished amplifier bay plate is shown in the first picture. I'd originally intended to drill the entire plate with the larger sized holes, but midway through I decided to include the functionally decorative characters as an added flourish (start at Post 12 of the original thread for a more thorough explanation and translation). The second picture shows the finished amplifier bay plate in place, and the power supply bay plate being fitted. Cooling holes will be drilled in the PS plate in a similar manner, but not as many since the cooling demand will be less.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Plate_Web.jpg (318.4 KB, 251 views)
File Type: jpg Bottom_Web.jpg (339.1 KB, 245 views)
Old 13th August 2017, 12:54 AM   #33
Shef is online now Shef  Canada
diyAudio Member

Like the plates, very appropriate. Though, I'd prefer 'em plain drilled with same holes over. The Amp is gonna look "floating" being lit (by cathode LEDs) towards the bottom.
Old 13th August 2017, 03:09 AM   #34
diyAudio Member

Hi Shef,

That's the idea (meaning the "floating" or "Close Encounters" look). I'd originally intended to drill them the way you suggested, but I wanted to pay homage to the "tacky" part of the original theme; tasteful tastelessness, if you will. When I first considered building this amp (about seven years ago!), I was intrigued with the idea of creating the characters with the LEDs themselves. I wasn't really certain how I'd mount them for viewing though. And besides, I'm lazy; it's just easier to order the PC boards from OSH Park and be done with it.

That said, I won't really know what the overall effect will be like or how intense it is until it's powered up for the first time. And then there's the matter of achieving the correct balance between the lower lighting and the light from the vent holes on top. Regardless, the visual output of the LED arrays is secondary to their function as a voltage source for the bias. I'm not going to whine if it's lit up like a cheap circus as long as it sounds great and measures well.

I just completed drilling the PS bottom plate and I can honestly tell you I've seen enough of the drill press for a couple of weeks!

Last edited by Mr_Zenith; 13th August 2017 at 03:21 AM.
Old 4th September 2017, 12:06 AM   #35
SCD is offline SCD  Canada
diyAudio Member

progress?
Old 16th September 2017, 05:08 PM   #36
diyAudio Member

Hi SCD. Sorry to be MIA. I've been on extended business travel over the past month or so and haven't had much of a chance to post. Couple that with an out-of-town medical emergency and, well... Sounds kinda' like Jake's excuses, I know.

I have made some progress though, particularly on the PS side. The capacitor/rectifier module in Post 30 has been mounted and a second one built for the driver HV supply. Also, the associated 30H choke has been mounted on the underside of the PS plate using an "L" bracket. I'll try and post more pictures when I return home.

In the meantime I'm drawing up diagrams for the regulator boards, which I'm planning to build "Manhattan"-style, so stay tuned!
Old 16th September 2017, 06:24 PM   #37
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I've got these for the regulators - High Voltage Regulator

Red Light District - Build ThreadHide this!Advertise here!