• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Hiss in 12B4 amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just finished this pre-amp and have a constant hiss (too loud to ignore).
It does not change with the volume control.
I tried various PSU configurations, but it stays the same.
(HV MOSFET regulator, CRCRC, CLCRC)
On the PSU I have a 20mV 100Hz ripple and on the outputs I see a 40kHz 20mV ripple. I have no idea where that is coming from. It is not on the input, I also do not see it on the base or emitter of Q1.
Anyway, I don't think this is the hiss I hear, way too high for my ears.

I tried another set of valves as well.
I lowered the heater voltage also to 12V.

How can I fix this hiss noise?

Thank you for any help.

Attachments

• 12B4A-circuit.png
    12B4A-circuit.png
    9.6 KB · Views: 263
Last edited:
Yes, I should have mentioned it. I can see 40mV of noise on the output, but it is to noisy to see the frequency on my old CRT scope . I will try the resistor instead of CCS.

Also, I use AC heaters, but do not hear any humm.

Last edited:
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Good question audiowize. That load circuit is the first CCS I ever built. The HLMP 6000 series red from HP was the recommended part (for low noise) at the time.

If you have the parts handy you might try 100R in series with the base of each transistor and .1uF in across each of the LEDs.

Though it was quiet I soon opted for another circuit.

Somewhere in my playing with this circuit I also tried 47uF from the Vin to the base of each transistor at the junction of 100R and Base.

... but there are always room for improvement. ;)

I now use another CCS, 2x DN2540 set to 17mA.
HISS is almost gone (slightly more then only the resistor, but MUCH less then the LED version) and the general sound is even better then before.

I also changed the heater supply to a 12V 3A SMPS. To get rid of the faint humm, I also implemented the "ground breaker" scheme, works like a charm. ;)

Attachments

• 12B4.png
    12B4.png
    9.5 KB · Views: 86
  • 12B4-PSU.png
    12B4-PSU.png
    6.7 KB · Views: 78
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.