• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

ST70 Iron help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Looking for recommendation for output iron for a Dynaco ST70 clone. While I would love lundahl or better, the funds aren't available. Between, Edcor, Triode Electronics, or Hammond what is the best choice...or another " low cost" option? Maybe someone is setting on something I can use?

If you're sticking with the original driver circuit and power supply, you'll probably be fine with even the most inexpensive iron you can find. If you are using an upgraded driver board (vta or diytube) then I would consider ordering custom iron from Edcor.

I built a kit (using the stock iron) from dynakitparts.com about ten years back and wasn't really satisfied with the sound until I started upgrading the power supply and driver circuitry. I hear the triode electronics iron is of equal quality to that of dynakitparts.

I was thinking of the VTA board, since it now has CCS and plan on an upgraded PS. Fixed bias. The Lundahl LL1633 was also a consideration. The Edor is the cheaper, where the Triode and Hammond are near the same price, and the Lundahl at the top...can't even consider the AM version. So not a strict clone of the 7199 Dynaco driver (even though I have an old board). I have to ask why "custom iron from Edcor"? I was looking at the Edcor CXPP60-4.2K with the multi tap output?

Why build a Dynaco clone? If you are spending the money on the iron anyway, build something better. And I'm saying this where an ST-70 is the basis for my amp. There is nothing original left except the transformers and chassis, and I wish I had a larger chassis so I could do more. I have the Curcio CCDA board in mine, except that he's no longer in the business apparently. Also, mine is running 6B4G output tubes. No quad cap, using 5U4 rectifier, no negative feedback, all in all, no longer much of a Dynaco.

I'm slowly accumulating parts to build an Amity, and I'll probably go all Lundahl myself, except that the Dynaco output transformers will be the first iteration since that's what I have. I'll probably use Genalex 300b and definitely a bigger chassis.

This is for a secondary system, for the wife, so need it simple...CD, passive pre, EL34 based amp. May just do Edcor (but they say 6 wks) and VTA board. Rather build new than by a tired out old ST70 for $$$. People want way to much for an old one. Way back when, I got one for $75 at a garage sale. Even old console tube amps, people want $200+ now days.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Early in the 1980s I got a number of ST-70, MKII, MKIII and MKIV for chump change. People could not get rid of them fast enough. Some people even gave them to me, knowing full well I was going to fix them up and resell them (for chump change). My then employer was clearing out a large inventory of vacuum tubes at the time and was going to throw them all out (write off), however the senior management somehow approved throwing them into the trunk of my car instead! (They had to sign the material disposition forms so they could be removed from the building.) They thought it was amusing that I was fixing up old amps and keeping them out of landfills. They didn't pay very well so this helped keep the lights on. (dawn of my career)

It is amazing how much these relatively mediocre amps sell for these days.

Interestingly those who owned ST-35s wanted much more money for them that is if they were willing to sell them at all. I never got any, although I did get a number of SCA-35s.

Yep, the only tube amp is was ever given was a SCA-35 and old Gromes. Paid $5 for a WM4, second one was $13. Best deal I ever got, I purchased two HK Citation II for $50 each, when I worked at a stereo shop and the owner would not take in on trade, because they did not have tubes. Made the mistake of selling them, now they are $$$$.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.