• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Croft Super Micro...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a Croft Super Micro.

Its voltage was total out of range, so I saw that the neon it used as reference burnt at around 120Volts instead of around 90. I replaced the neone with a new one (The old looked blackened in a way...) and the voltage after the regulator tube was back to the desired 250V

Today I listened to music, and sudenly there was a rythmic popping, the same as the NE2 got blinking....

I asked Mrs Google, and I got:

https://www.southampton.ac.uk/~apm3/diyaudio/Croft_SM_III_circuit.gif

Wow. No Neon2, but a 90C1.

Reference voltage is the same, but: 90C1 has a current of around 1....40mA, but NE2 should only get 0,6mA(!!!)

Can the linked schematic work with the NE2???

Or:
How can I change the regulator schematic, that it works with the NE2??? It seems to me, that the regulator tube has to cope with the current from the 82K resistor (more than 1 mA...) and with the current from the triode in the regulator tube...

So I expect it to be around 3mA...

Can a NE2 handle this current?

Any experiences with a croft and this regulator setup? Please advise.

Regs, Dirk

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
> with the current from the triode

Current in triode is like 1/3rd mA. Work it out. 350V on top of 470K, a little under 200V at plate end.

NE-2 can stand 2mA "or so". Life drops as current is increased. Which may be where you are at now. 0.6mA is a happier value for long life.

Can you find the right part? 90V gas-regs are available in several shapes/sizes, but many drop-out below 5mA.

ALL gas tubes are either very-old or super-cheap. The old ones have a pinch of radioactive to help them start-- by now this is half-depleted and starting is erratic. But not as erratic as the very-very-very cheap new neons still on the market.

Are you allergic to Silicon? 45V Zeners are standard parts. Less hiss than gas, and IMO more reliable.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I'd look for the original 90C1 - you may find some on eBay from time to time.

3mA is too much current for an NE-2 which otherwise makes a decent if not brilliant reference.

A 91V 5% 1W zener would work well too and might be a bit quieter. (You can add some capacitance across the zener as well) Select one from a small number of samples that gets you close to 90V at 3.3mA

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.