• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Thyratron Circuit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, so here is the schematic for a thyratron display I'm building. Since this is my first go at a large thyratron, I wanted to put this before the wealth of knowlege on this forum. Any obvious issues with this one? Thanks!

BTW- it's a NL-760.

Attachments

• thyratron.jpg
    thyratron.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 463
Thanks Tim, 2.5v @21 Amps is correct I belive. Right now it's drawn so that when Reset is slected on the 555 timer, it sends the output low to kick out K1. The timer is there to allow the filament to heat up before the anode supply kicks on. I've read that thyratrons aren't too forgiving about a hot anode with a cold cathode. The drawback is that the timer has to recycle before anode voltage is applied again. Thanks!

Heh, yeah I kinda forgot to draw a momentary switch in series with the coil of k2 for starting. The resistor on k1 acts as a bit of a load for that winding of the transformer. Since it's on whether the anode is hot or not, I didn't want those leads to be hanging out looking for ground. :xeye: I do have another one, a JAN 5948 that IS a monster. That's next. :) Thanks!
-Ricky

Heh, right those do need to be reversed. :eek:
I read that these can put a spike down the filament supply when the tubes switches because the filament is tied to the cathode. It was suggested that a choke capable of handling the current be used to absorb such spikes. Is that an unnecessary component? Would such spikes only occur under abnormal conditions? The caps I bought from Surplus Sales of Nebraska. Big oil filled AC caps, uprated for DC use. I've got most of the parts, but I wanted to double check what's on paper before I finish building it. Thanks!
-Ricky

It should be, the choke is rated for 30A and the filament supply is a lab 0-10v 25A supply. Because the supply voltage will be regulated, I figured it would be a good idea to havea choke in there. In testing, the choke only dropped about 1 volt (it's a big sucker- low resistance) So the supply can easily make up for that.
I got about 50 of those chokes from a theatrical dimmer rack I scrapped back in college. I have several 50A chokes for the 5948 as well. :D Thanks!
-Ricky

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.