• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Sonic Frontiers OTs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The "iron" is intended for EL34s and they are the obvious choice. However, PPP 6П14П-EB (6p14p-ev), AKA EL84M, "finals" will be OK too.

As for small signal circuitry, the tried and true Mullard style is a definite possibility. Mullard style is not "fussy" about O/P "iron" and rarely has stability issues.

Small caveat: Sonic Frontiers, which was very early on taken over by Foreign Inwestors... operated under the odd premise that Premium parts made for a premium amp.
History clearly proved that wasn't even close to being true.
Assemblage amp worked, but it was hardly a great contraption.. by any yardstick.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
The transformers were made by Hammond, or ATC Frost, i bought extras from Hammond many moons ago. Built with Caddocks, MIT RTX and Blackgates it was actually rather nice. Compared to Audio Research and Krell mono blocks at the time it is dynamically limited, but quite nice otherwise

Last edited:
Does the "iron" have ultra-linear taps on the primary side? Based on the 40 WPC claim, I'm guessing no UL taps.

Some digging showed SF used a 12AX7 section, a 12AU7, and 2X EL34s per channel, for a total of 7 signal path tubes. That easily could have been Mullard topology, but other options did exist. As the seminal 5-20 shows, Mullard style topology is voltage amplifier DC coupled to a long tailed pair (LTP) phase splitter that's cap. coupled to PP "finals". I'm not thrilled by the small signal types Mullard chose, which were (IMO) sales, rather than technically, based. The EF86 and 12AX7/ECC83 exhibit low gm, which is a distinct negative. EICO did a better job with a 'X7 section voltage amplifier and 6SN7 LTP, but I'd like to see gm emphasized a good deal more.

A constant current source (CCS) loaded 6922 section voltage amplifier and an ECC99 LTP should provide plenty of open loop gain, while exhibiting resistance to HF error correction signal induced slew limiting. Constant current sink (CCS) load the LTP's tail to force symmetry between the 2 sides.

Assuming full pentode mode "finals" are employed, regulate O/P tube g2 B+ for max. open loop linearity. Let the GNFB loop deal mostly with damping factor and, secondarily, distortion.

My intention is to squeeze every last drop of performance out of the O/P "iron" possible. A multi-tapped negative voltage multiplier will "feed" the LTP tail CCSes and provide "fixed" bias for the O/P tubes.

Attachments

• Mullard 5-20 Schematic.jpg
    Mullard 5-20 Schematic.jpg
    380.3 KB · Views: 186
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Help with Sonic Frontiers outut transfomer

I have two pairs of Sonic Frontiers OTs and don't remember the details. It has printed on the transformer: "Sonic Frontiers, SFOT-04, HEK94". They seem to be single output (6 ohm?) and not Ultralinear, i.e. like a triode OT with only two primaries with center tap. Could you help me identify and use these guys? They are quite large, almost the size of Dynaco MkIII OTs and definitely larger than Dynaco ST 70 OTs

Eli Duttman said:
The EF86 and 12AX7/ECC83 exhibit low gm, which is a distinct negative. EICO did a better job with a 'X7 section voltage amplifier and 6SN7 LTP, but I'd like to see gm emphasized a good deal more.
Why is low gm a "distinct negative"? I don't recall the 5-20 having a big rise in HF distortion, which would be a sign of running out of slew rate. The EL34 is an easy valve to drive, even in UL mode. A 6SN7 LTP needs a CCS tail, but the high mu ECC83 can manage with just a resistor tail.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.