• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

My first tube amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
wow.. after all these months i finally got a tube amp.. well.. i bought it off ebay, but i'm happy. here it is: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3804419666&category=50593
will this work for guitar? i'm thinking my accoustic.. well.. i think it will.. assuming that it will.. would i plug it into phono, tuner, or aux? i'll have to make an adapter to go from 1/4" to RCA, but thats' no problem. by the way, my guitar has a peizo pickup with adjustable gain, high, mid, and low.. if that helps.. thanks

Ha! Nice job! You just got a whole amp for the price of a transformer! If it doesnt sound right to you for the guitar Im sure that you could tweek it to get the sound that you want. Or close to it at least. I think you want to plug your guitar into anything but PHONO. PHONO is a seperate input for specifically Turntable ouput, which is lower "power" than a cd or tape player, it also is specifically setup to get a certain type of sound. You wont break anything by pluging your guitar into phono however (dont necessarly take my word on that :) ) so you should try it just to see what it does, might sound good!

Thats sweet.

Milo

Hey great score for the price! Should work real fine for guitar with a few mods. Tuner/Aux will not have enough gain but the phono stage should have more than enough, especially if it is designed for a magnetic cartrige. You could remove the RIAA filter and maybe add an extra volume pot to adjust the Gain. Best not to try and fit a Soldano preamp into it if this is your first project but converting it into a Super Champ would be a reasonable possibility:)
Check out this link,
(URL)http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/old2new.htm(/URL)
It explains how to change an old PA into a Guitar amp.
Same sh*t, different pile.
Good luck!
PS! Don't try EL84s strait into those 6BM8 sockets:bigeyes:

hmm.. that link is cool.. but too confusing at the moment... (noob.. still figureing out how to make a light bulb light;) ) .. as of right now i'd like to just make this an accoustic amp.. so really.. keep everything how it is.. accoustics seem to sound best over a PA with 2 or 3 way speakers.. so i guess all i might want to do is add a gain pot on the phono to control the volume.. if the aux/tuner wont work. I'll wait and see how it works when i get it. Anyone wanna guess how many watts it'll have at 8 ohms?

Probably won't sound too good with your guitar straight in...will sound too bright and the tone controls will be at the wrong frequencies for guitar. My sugestion is that you DIY a guitar preamp and then connect the o/p of this into the line input of your tube amp.

alright thanks.. somwhere i have some links for some all tube preamps with distortion too.. heh.. i'll turn this into a tube amp for my electric too.. (excited) would hooking this up to a Marshall 4X12 guitar cab damage the speakers because of the different frequencies associated with regualr amps vs. guitar amps?

Bas Horneman said:
Great buy. Apart from 29 bucks you have nothing to loose.

It might be to clean sounding for a guitar amp and/or not have enough gain. But give it a try and let us know!

Cheers,
Bas
hehe , that comment cheered me up :D

guitargully said:
alright thanks.. somwhere i have some links for some all tube preamps with distortion too.. heh.. i'll turn this into a tube amp for my electric too.. (excited) would hooking this up to a Marshall 4X12 guitar cab damage the speakers because of the different frequencies associated with regualr amps vs. guitar amps?

hi,
I have used hi fi valve amps for acousic guitar and had good results, if you can get 1 or have 1, shove an 8" speaker on.
see how that sounds

apart from maybe wanting to change the tone circuit a bit you may also have to adjust the input sensativity and increase
the output a little if posable.
guitar amps are on the edge when it comes to pushing the valves
where as that amp is probly just idling along hehe
:devilr:

regards stormy

Anyone wanna guess how many watts it'll have at 8 ohms? [/B]

2x6BM8 in push pull pentode=about 14 watts. Sorry if the link was a bit much for now. If you could find a wiring diagram for the amp I could give you some easy mods to make it more guitar like. I have built and sold prolly close to 80 guitar amps so I could through some ideas at you if you want. Because of the RIAA filter the amp will not be toned for guitar but it would be an easy fix to bypass it. The tone controls as mentioned above will be off a bit for ideal guitar but there is nothing easier than installing a Marshall or Fender style tone stack. If it was mine a would chuck the 6BM8s and rewire the whole amp with EL84 outputs and either a Matchless Spitfire frontend or a Vox AC15(EF86 rocks).
Either of these amps are easy to wire and provide lots of classic gain. They also both take stomp boxs well. If you have any front end boosters try the aux/tuner in with one. This maybe just what you need if you don't want to warm up a soldering iron:cool:

planet10 said:
The phono input on this is no doubt ceramic (not enuff tubes for a mag phono in).
dave

The amp has inputs for both ceramic and mag. The 6BM8s have a triode along side the pentode for a complete PP poweramp within two tubes(driver, PI, and 2xOPs).

14W for a 6BM8 PP is really pushing it, 8-10W is more typical.

Yep lookin at the size of the OPT 8W is prolly closer. But thats 8 big TUBE watts;)

yea.. tube watts seem to be louder than SS watts.. well.. my guitar teachers 150W tube head set to volume level "1" and gain at "7" is as loud as my 150W SS head at "10" and "10".. hmm. . speaking of which.. i sorta blew that amp up.. late at night i reconnected the power to the board and wasnt thinking about polarity.. fried the board.. made alotta smoke... etc.. even my neighbors (2 electrical engineers) couldnt figure it out.. we just made it worse.. blew up more stuff.. oh well.. i got it cheap and i replaced it already. With that.. i still have the preamp.. 2 channels: clean/distortion with three band EQ on the clean, reverb, presence, etc etc.. would this work as a preamp for the tube amp? I know it's not tube.. but it might work til i get more experience.. at least i'd have the right EQ and gain controls along with a distortion channel. There's four wires goin to it (sides the reverb wires) that come forom the power amp section. I'm assuming two provide power and two return the signal.. pretty simple, but i dont know haw many volts the amp gave the preamp (no way to test.. since the amp is in well.. lots of pieces) my wild guess would be nine volts.. just because most stomp-box effects and such use nine volts, but i'm not sure. Any ideas on what i should try?

guitargully said:
yea.. tube watts seem to be louder than SS watts... i still have the preamp...
Tube watts are simply better for guitar,
especially for OD/IMO, user results may vary;)
Any guitar preamp should be great to plug right into the aux in of your new baby on the way.
That said, what is left of your integrated amp may not be the equal of a normal preamp output. You could not hurt the tube amp tryin it though. Get one of your tech freinds to check for the normal voltage that your preamp transistors run on. This can be done with either the amp wiring diagram or a transistor manual. Good luck, and hope your new amp arrives soon:cool:

finally..it's here!

lol.. well the tue amp finally arrived. i pluged it in and hooked it all up (tape player as the signal source) and it sounded like rice crispies.."shoot" i thought.. i decided to disconnect everything and check for loose parts. sure enough a PS cap was loose.. so i re-soldered it and it's works pretty well.. one thing tho (sorta got me stumped) i had it sitting on the ground and there was some buzz/hmm/pss noise.. not lots but enough to make me wanna correct it. I picked thing up about 3 inches off the ground (carpet..) and the noise stopped.. just a small amount of hum.. barely noticeable. I tried setting it on top of the tape player and most of the noise was still gone. but if i pick the front right corner up the noise really goes away, but then if i pick the front left corner the noise gets pretty bad.. any idea why this could be or what i could do to prevnt it? thanks! .. by the way.. i tried plugging my guitar into it.. i think i need a booster or some sort;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.