Build Log: P Millett's DCPP "Engineer's Amp" - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th May 2017, 02:25 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Build Log: P Millett's DCPP "Engineer's Amp"

As the title says, i'm working on building the Engineer's Amp. I'll post my progress here, I suppose with plenty of pics. I got all the parts in and the tools I needed for the through-hole components, to bend the leads of course.

Anyone who's successfully built this amp, please feel free to suband tag along. I'm sure I'll need good advice along the way. This is my first tube amp and I'm super stoked!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170515_222022.jpg (136.3 KB, 390 views)

Last edited by jazbo8; 17th May 2017 at 02:58 PM. Reason: typos
Old 16th May 2017, 04:26 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Roc View Post
Anyone who's successfully built this amp, please feel free to suband tag along.
Ok.

jeff
Old 16th May 2017, 06:59 AM   #3
Shef is offline Shef  Canada
diyAudio Member

the photo of soldering iron is missing...
Old 16th May 2017, 12:10 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shef View Post
the photo of soldering iron is missing...
Still in box, I bought a new digital Weller. My old chicom two in one was having trouble keeping the tip temp consistent, specially with the larger tip. It gave me four good years though. I may have left it on all night once or twice...

Speaking of soldering. Does anyone think it would be worth using silver solver? I have a tube of silver solder I purchased a while back and never found a use for it but I read that it works well in audio? I can't imagine the difference would be audible but any reason why I should skip the silver solder and instead use traditional lead/rosin core solder? I also plan to use liquid flux.
Old 16th May 2017, 05:44 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

After reading a little on solder recommendations, I purchased some Cardas Quad Eutectic solder to use for this project. Supposedly, its awesome but we'll see about that.
Old 16th May 2017, 05:49 PM   #6
kaputt is offline kaputt  Germany
diyAudio Member

Solder with lead is king.
Old 16th May 2017, 05:52 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaputt View Post
I agree, no one likes to heat up their components too much and cold solder joints are bad. I always use lead solder.
Old 17th May 2017, 02:16 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Boy, no one ever told me that having a kid would take up all my time... My parents are coming to visit this weekend. Assuming the Cardas solder arrives by then, I will begin soldering this Saturday. Or.... Ill go biking..

On another note, maybe you guys can help me with something else? Follow the link to another thread I created to help identify an older transformer. Maybe I can use it for a project down the road?

Help Identify Transformer

Last edited by M3Roc; 17th May 2017 at 02:21 PM.
Old 18th May 2017, 04:31 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Quote:
I agree, no one likes to heat up their components too much and cold solder joints are bad. I always use lead solder.

Agreed, and use some good flux too. I have pretty much always used leaded multicore solder alongside a good paste flux. I have worked a bit with one of those flux pens on pcb's, sort of looks like a paint pen, seems to work OK. I still prefer paste myself, either dipping wire ends/components or using a small applicator like a small acid brush for pcb work.

Good luck on the build!
Old 18th May 2017, 07:19 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I use Kester liquid flux that I buy in bottles on ebay. I use a syringe with a plastic needle to apply it, works great and easy to clean up with alcohol afterwards.

Hide this!Advertise here!