• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Build Log: P Millett's DCPP "Engineer's Amp"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
While that's shipping, what do you guys think about components like capacitors, specially the larger ones? I see that some OEM's use some goo-shmoo to keep the components from vibrating. Can you guys suggest something?

I used Russian k40y-9 for coupling, just because I bought a bunch years ago. Can't say I've seen any people gooing caps to the board thou. Not necessary IMHO.

I'm actually going to go one step further and have the panel cut on a water jet. Or at least that's the idea.

There was a guy selling top plates on ebay when Pete first released this design. They looked quite nice, so I guessed at the time they were done on a water jet.

I don't like having the connectors on top, not my ideal "style", I like to have them on the back.

Same here. I put my connectors on a separate back panel.

jeff

Sorry folks, not much of an update. I hope to sit down and do some soldering this weekend in the evenings when my son is in bed.

On the other hand, some good news. Since this is my dive into tubes, I figured that I would need to set a baseline. Figure out what sounds good and then go from there so I know if im hitting the mark for what is acceptable or not. Yesterday, I got a really good deal on a tube amp that I've been eyeing for a long time, just never able to afford one. It's on its way now so I will update further once I have it in hand. This will be my baseline for what I want to build since I've heard music from this amp before. It does use KT88 tubes and has a wide range of tubes I can use. Not the same as the sweep tubes on the DCPP amp but it'll be close.

I am super excited about this and am eager to share with you guys. The B&W CM8's are still in the boxes as I finish up my lighting in the basement where the audio gear will be setup. My ears will be virgin to tube and CM8 combination. I am currently listening to Arabella Steinbacher on my 685's powered via RB-1050's rotel pre and cd source.

Last edited:
I'm sorry there hasn't been much movement on this project, I promise this wont be a dead thread. It's been so hectic lately, I only find little time between putting down my son and going to bed myself to work on this.

I've been working on getting the dimensions together for the case before I begin soldering components onto the board.

On the other hand, something cool showed up last night. UPS managed to get it to me undamaged. A first for everything. I attached an image. I know this looks like a cheap way out. Trust me, it wasn't cheap and will act as my baseline for what I would like to hear from my projects.

Attachments

• 20170601_180046.jpg
    20170601_180046.jpg
    1,006.2 KB · Views: 770
Last edited:
Lately I've been carousing some build threads and getting some ideas from other manufacturers about my design implementation and the look I want. I'm seeing a lot of potted transformers out there, specifically from makers like McIntosh and my Primaluna.

Can anyone shed some light on potting transformers? I've read some diyaudio threads about potting and there is all kinds of mixed info. Some folks say not to pot opt's because it causes issues in out resistance? Some say that potting power t's will cause heat buildup and shorts?

What is the truth about this and can I safely pot my trnsx, both power and opt? I found a wide variety of housings on ebay and I really like the look, this is mostly an aesthetics thing for me but if performance gains are to be had, im game. Anyone know what is the potting material used? I realize its permanent and im ok with that. Can I use clear epoxy? The Edcore trsnx have a data sticker on the bottom, I would like that to be visible through the clear epoxy.

Any info would be helpful. I am getting closer to beginning the build. Browsing some chassis options on ebay, I ran across a seller from texas that makes really nice aluminum/wood chassis for these sort of amplifiers. I was going to make my own but these are super nice and the price is right so I think ill try one out. I'll have to cut my own holes obviously but im ok with that.

I have been doing a lot of reading and watching a lot of videos on youtube on the theory of tubes and tube amplifiers. A lot more of the wiring is starting to make sense to me. I'm still trying to figure out how a rectifier tube works and would love to include a GZ34 to give a "soft start" but that for a later project, I have something in a box for a later time to work on.

I was looking at other manufacturers of amplifiers and I like the housing/shield used on the opt and power transformers. I will refrain from potting because according to some folks, it changes the character of the transformer. I would still however like to put a housing to enclose the transformers but im concerned about heat. Things I've been considering.

I promise I'm not prolonging this unnecessarily, im in the middle of remodeling the house, watching my son and full time work. I am however finding time to listen to my newly adopted Prologue Five with KT88's and I must say, the sound is different but in a good way. I really like the way it's changed the music I typically listen to. I am trying to find to correlation between the differences in sound and the artists. Some are dramatic differences and some are pleasant.

Lastly, I have a quad matched set of Gold Lion KT88's coming as well. I love the idea of rolling tubes. I need to get myself a tube meter to feed this obsession. Any suggestions?

Just a small update. Got my Gold Lion tubes in and listened to Arabella Steinbacher.. Not only do they look great, they also sound very good without being too warm.

Attachments

• 20170608_202610.jpg
    20170608_202610.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 564
  • 20170608_210317.jpg
    20170608_210317.jpg
    982.2 KB · Views: 547
  • 20170608_210652.jpg
    20170608_210652.jpg
    969 KB · Views: 533
Last edited:
Wow so many replies and I didn't get a single notification.

JWags, please upload the images to the forum or link us directly to the photo album, looks like your links are broken. I would love to see what you've done.

Does anyone have a "favorite" solder flux? I am still out on the verdict. I love using liquid Kester 551 but I also like the paste stuff. It's easier to work with the Kester liquid flux though.

I've been building electronics stuff for many years, and will only use leaded multicore solder ie that has it's own flux. It's easier to work with, than applying flux separately and I get good joints every time. I wouldn't waste time with separate flux paste.

Sent from my phone. Please excuse any typpos.

I pre-bent all the leads the other night, it was worth doing. I've got like three more bags of resistors to install before I move on to the next set of components. Little man didn't take as long a nap as yes usually does so I didn't get far.

I bought this lead bending tool from Germany, it's really well thought out. Glad I waited for it. It accepts seven different sized diodes for each lead spacing. This really helps with keeping the diode centered and gives great results.

Well folks, this is all I have time for today.. Tired of huffing those fumes, I need an extractor pronto!

Just a small update. Added a few more components, getting closer to music!

Attachments

• 20170618_192702.jpg
    20170618_192702.jpg
    601.7 KB · Views: 456
  • 20170618_201616.jpg
    20170618_201616.jpg
    1,004.3 KB · Views: 424
  • 20170618_185415.jpg
    20170618_185415.jpg
    1,016.1 KB · Views: 437
  • 20170618_215009.jpg
    20170618_215009.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 423
  • 20170619_215753.jpg
    20170619_215753.jpg
    1,023.9 KB · Views: 198
  • 20170619_215820.jpg
    20170619_215820.jpg
    968.6 KB · Views: 240
Oh, I see you are OCD just like me when it comes to soldering components on PCBs.

Nice work so far.

Yes, I think OCD is a good way to put it. Better to do it right the first time I suppose. I do enjoy this though so its not a burden for me to solder, it helps me relax. I think there is also a level of satisfaction to watch the board populate.

Last edited:
Placed a majority of the final components on the board last night. Including seven of the eight tube sockets, I got tired and the fumes were burning the sinuses. I need to finish my fume extractor.

I originally purchased ClarityCap .22uf 600v rated caps as specified in the parts list. I didn't realize the caps would be short and really fat. I'm noticing that there isn't much choice for .22uf caps on the market but for aesthetics purposes, I may get a different set of caps based on what's worked for others in the past. I know the argument can be made that no one will see inside the amplifier but I will know, in my mind, it'll bug me.

My question; Do the caps have to be .22uf @ 600v? Can those values be changed? Can I use higher voltage rated caps? Can I use caps with different mfd ratings?

Attachments

• 20170620_224454.jpg
    20170620_224454.jpg
    1,003.8 KB · Views: 374
  • 20170620_224509.jpg
    20170620_224509.jpg
    866.9 KB · Views: 362
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.