Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Build Log: P Millett's DCPP "Engineer's Amp"
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th May 2017, 09:17 PM   #11
SpreadSpectrum is offline SpreadSpectrum  United States
diyAudio Member

I found a place that sold little bottles with brushes once, just like a nail-polish bottle. I don't remember where now. This has become my favorite way to apply flux. Very easy to control how much you are applying and put it exactly where it is needed, and it is all self-contained. Lid keeps it fresh and you never have to clean the brush.
Old 19th May 2017, 12:37 PM   #12
M3Roc is offline M3Roc
diyAudio Member

I have something like that for alcohol, works very well.

Another questions you guys might be able to help me with. I don't want the components sitting directly on the pcb, I don't like the look, I don't think it looks professional. I want to space the components such as resistors off the board by at least a 1/16th. I've seen some places online sell spacers that go on the legs and dissolve away with an alcohol bath. I've also seen components legs get a bend that prevents them from going in too far. I don't like the second option because it requires a very expensive pair of pliers and it can introduce interference if the leads are too long. Anyone have any other ideas or solutions?

http://s3.amazonaws.com/MagicHour/US...Multiseals.jpg

Also, anyone care to chime in if I should be using some sort of adhesive for the capacitors? If so, what should I use?

Last edited by M3Roc; 19th May 2017 at 12:58 PM.
Old 19th May 2017, 01:44 PM   #13
jackinnj is offline jackinnj  United States
diyAudio Member

Note that the Edcor Transformers (which I use) are wired a bit differently from the Hammond which Pete currently has specified on his website schematic.

I found that I could optimize the results by swapping around the tubes until best match was attained. I did this with a distortion analyzer -- you don't need an expensive distortion analyzer for this amplifier.

It's sound is quite pleasant sounding.
Old 19th May 2017, 02:19 PM   #14
M3Roc is offline M3Roc
diyAudio Member

I wasn't aware that a Hammond transformer was specified, I was under the impression that he spec'd out Edcor. Edcor even carries a line of transformers for Pete specifically for this project, you can buy the trio in one swoop. I'll have to check I suppose but it is what it is, I already have the transformers in hand.
Old 19th May 2017, 02:48 PM   #15
SpreadSpectrum is offline SpreadSpectrum  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Roc View Post
I have something like that for alcohol, works very well.

Another questions you guys might be able to help me with. I don't want the components sitting directly on the pcb, I don't like the look, I don't think it looks professional. I want to space the components such as resistors off the board by at least a 1/16th. I've seen some places online sell spacers that go on the legs and dissolve away with an alcohol bath. I've also seen components legs get a bend that prevents them from going in too far. I don't like the second option because it requires a very expensive pair of pliers and it can introduce interference if the leads are too long. Anyone have any other ideas or solutions?

http://s3.amazonaws.com/MagicHour/US...Multiseals.jpg

Also, anyone care to chime in if I should be using some sort of adhesive for the capacitors? If so, what should I use?
I've used resistor lead-bending jigs like this one: http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...Vf8xoCVX3w_wcB

When I want some clearance, I simply insert the resistor into the holes as far as I want it and give a little outward bend to the leads on the solder side. Then I solder it in. This is easiest done with the board held in a vise so that gravity will hold the resistor in the proper position.
Old 19th May 2017, 03:12 PM   #16
M3Roc is offline M3Roc
diyAudio Member

Yes, I did end up buying a lead forming jig, I got this one from Germany since its well designed to hold multiple sizes of diodes with same hole spacing. You can use the really small diodes or the really fat ones;

Bending Device Resistors LED Diodes Components Bending CONDENSOR

I like the idea of bending the leads after inserting and letting gravity pull the diode down, I may resort to that.
Old 19th May 2017, 03:27 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I wasn't aware that a Hammond transformer was specified, I was under the impression that he spec'd out Edcor. Edcor even carries a line of transformers for Pete specifically for this project, you can buy the trio in one swoop. I'll have to check I suppose but it is what it is, I already have the transformers in hand.
I have two versions of the schematic --- on the current one (5/19/17) it has the Edcor's.

The 50W version specifies the Hammond. I will get around to building that one some time this fall.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attac...p_finished.jpg

Last edited by jackinnj; 19th May 2017 at 03:30 PM.
Old 19th May 2017, 03:48 PM   #18
M3Roc is offline M3Roc
diyAudio Member

The one in the link, is that one you built? If so, where did you connect the meters and what value meters did you have to buy?
Old 22nd May 2017, 01:16 PM   #19
M3Roc is offline M3Roc
diyAudio Member

I got my solder this weekend but then realized that I was out of Kester flux. Oy vey...

While that's shipping, what do you guys think about components like capacitors, specially the larger ones? I see that some OEM's use some goo-shmoo to keep the components from vibrating. Can you guys suggest something?

The PCB is of good quality even though it does have a slight twist to it, not sure why. I do want this PCB to be built to the highest spec possible, I don't like doing things half-assed..

I'm still thinking about spacing components off the board. Trying to inject some logic into both arguments of leaving the components against the board or spacing then, even if its only 1/16th or 1/32nd. I just hate the idea of heat dissipating into the PCB from resistors, specially that larger ones. I don't plan to leave the leads long enough to introduce rf cross communication, I think im safe from that.
Old 22nd May 2017, 01:59 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:

I'm still thinking about spacing components off the board.
Good idea for the larger wattage-value resistors. Will prevent scorching of the PCB.

Suggestion -- before you stuff the board, use it as a template for cutting the chassis drill holes/socket holes/transformer feed through's etc. Pete provides a DXF file, but it is easier to just lay it down on the chassis and use a pencil to mark out the holes.

It is indeed a well designed PCB.

Build Log: P Millett's DCPP "Engineer's Amp"Hide this!Advertise here!