KYW's linestage (split from RIAA for life time) - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd March 2004, 10:37 PM   #31
diyAudio Member

Default Hmmmm.

Well, I see Thorsten not only had to use non- audio post but now into AA. Looks like you are the spiteful one.

The first section is about IDTs vs DHTs. Ok.

<The first claim is that depending upon the fact that a strean of supoposed electrons is emitted from a suitably doped metallic cathode sleeve or from a suitably coated wire we observe a difference in frequency response.>

Show me one of your amps with great FR. Back then I didn't see any amps with great FR. More drive required per watt output causes problems, one of which can be less FR. Capacitance problems also contribute. Didn't know this, ha?

< The frequency response is of course determined by the circuit design, not by the device itself. >

See above answer Thorsten.

<The next claim is that using DH Valves invariably gives rise to hum.>

Well, counting on no one else reading the post? If you had looked down a line or two you would have seen this, Thorsten:

"Well, if you have the hum problem solved good. I hope so. The reviews I have seen just don't seem to indicate the problem is solved".

<"Before I even knew AA existed, I got an email of someone copying part of my webpage, and some crucifying it. That is how I found AA. I never criticized DHTs cause I didn't even know they were being used, let alon a big deal."

Hmm, at the time claimed 41 Years experience but never noticed DHT's.... Sure.">

I was working on my designs, and only subscribed in 1980 to Audio for 1 year. Didn't even get my webpage up till Dec, 1996. Peoria, and surrounding area doesn't have a high end store.

By the way, I am not the one changing his story about being heavily involved in tubes for only approx 2 years. How did you test all the circuits during this time? And how did you get all the money to purchase these parts and designs when you were rather tight on money? Did someone give you all these parts, or just make some assumptions?

And I am not the one who admitted he was getting compensation under the table? Only test Transformers and whole sale prices on components? You stated customers weren't paying you, but you didn't state if you are getting money from the dealers, wholesalers, manufacturers, or anyone else. Are you getting kickbacks, either monetarily or non monetarily?

<"Well Tom. The impression I get is that me and others are idiots if we don't use DHTs.">

I am not the only one who had problems. Decware also seemed too. In fact, Decware had it out with about 9 or 10 of you guys. Aren't you a poster at AA?

< I can't even purchase transformers from one company, not that I want to now, because a DHT man blackballed my company, before I knew of AA or DHT company competitors. See where I am coming from? I was strictly trying to get a business going"

"But misleading, ignorance, or lying in a posting misleads, is close to fraud and just isn't right. All these horrible postings are phychological warefare.">

Well, I got a catalog from them and all of a sudden, I couldn't purchase or get any info from them. Just bad luck I guess? The company didn't go under.

<"It also seems to me that the so called "friendly" postings were not friendly but attacking my products.">

Of course you didn't post the previous postings did you. How convient.

<Note - Jeff Mai is a DIY Enthusiast, no a manufacturer!!!!>

Of course a half truth is the same as a lie Thorsten. Where are his other posts to explain what he was doing?

<SEE DAVE what I have been saying. Go back and look at how many postings where they said the KT88s had higher distortions than the 300b and 2A3s etc. There were several. I never posted first, just them. Yet it turns out my measurements from an actual distortion analyzer showed the KT88 to be lower. SEE DAVE what I mean. There is obviously bias and an adgenda here.">

Remember Thorsten, you tried this same tatic mentioning a test. (notice he capitalized words too) As I recall the test you and others use as reference was a WE 300b vs a Chinese KT90. The best vs the worst. Why not the best vs the best?

<Disagreeing with you is an act of hate????? Asking for legitimate proof is an act of hate?????""

And what about the posts you skipped over again Thorsten?

<"This data was either measured or calculated for the 300B output tube in isolation. The data you provide for the KT88 is at the output of a complete amplifier. Because of this, comparison of these two pieces of data are not meaningful, i.e. you're comparing apples to oranges. For pointing this out, you accuse me of hatred and lies?????">

But if you had bothered to post how I tested, but conveniently skipped over again Thorsten.
I used a special, virtually no distortion signal generator plus one special stage with near zero distortion to drive the output tube and OPT to measure the distortion, hardly the whole amp.
Also, in other posts, which Thorsten again doesn't mention, they mention they used only calculations off of paper curves. Being off only 2ma (which would be good) could add .5%, 1% or more distortion. Hardly accurate compared to actual measurements.

<"Lordy, Steve... Not quite sure what you are talking about here as it took me aproximately 15 seconds to find that amp and posts in question. Indeed, I was involved in the exchange and I dont remember anything deleted. In fact, if you look, Gordon even posts the name and location of the Neil Muncy paper concerning the grounding scheme."

"Gordon goes farther to admit it made for good reading and included some good ideas etc. He also discusses the perils of a piece of equipment going to Stereophile and how sometimes things dont turn out there as they were in your designers system. On the whole, that amp you are referring to received a GLOWING review.">

A couple of problems Thorsten.
First, how many posts were posted before mine, and how long?
Is his posts in the same string?
Second, The maufacturer posted after I brought up the hum problem, is that what you are saying?
And how much time elapsed before he posted?
And was anything brought up about the replacement of output tubes needed? Because the reviewer had to try 3 sets of tubes to get it working properly. And the manufacturer, if I remember correctly, stated somewhat later, in another string on AA that the tubes were ok. So any EE could have figured what was happening. But he must have posted much later cause I don't remember his post.

By the way, I have several witnesses who have seen postings deleted at AA. In fact, according to one witness (A), Rod called <A> and mentioned he was investigating one of his guys (B) after <A>s post was deleted, a post recommending my 10A preamp (someone requested a good preamp and many brands were recommended). Another witness to (A)s post contacted me stating (B) contacted him and said Rod may have laccidentally deleted (A)s post during some work. So the post was there. Of course, (B) no longer moderates at AA. If one can delete, one can also altar one too, maybe even add.

<Tom$ (Moderator IIRC) posts:

"The "untruthful attacks"? Are these the posts you obliquely refer to?"

"http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/set/messages/10249.html"
"http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/set/messages/10256.html"
"http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/set/messages/9989.html"

"Seems to me you just have a personal grudge against Jeff Mai, Rankin, and an unnamed person in an e-mail. Why attempt to damn AA as a whole if your beef is with 3-4 people?"?>

Interesting, cause I believe Tom was the one under investigation by Rod for deleting (A) post. Afterall, I believe, Tom posted he was the only one besides Rod to run the chat program. Either way, Tom posted several, (A)s post never existed, as I recall, yet indicated to this witness that it was posted.

By the way, read one of, if not the last post of Decware on AA. I believe he addresses 9 or 10 people, not 3-4 that is mentioned. So something is very wrong with the post you referenced.

<"It is not the facts that have gotten you into this deep quagmire, but the way you handle people. Only you can control the way you interact with others, and I see no evidence that you are capable of diplomacy and tact. You seem to believe only in attacks and counterattacks, and as long as that happens, you will be engaged in perpetual ****ing contests."

"Me thinks that you should consider changing your strategy.">

Interesting since 9-10, or more who were attacking me were also attacking Decware. And remember I didn't even know AA existed or wanted to post until someone copied and they started attacked my webpage and use of tubes. So why didn't they use diplomacy??
By the way, in one string I was accused of bringing up a subject, when the original 1st individual again posted below me, and stated he started the subject. You guessed it, that first post he made was deleted. That is honesty isn't it.

Let's continue on.

<I have no conspiracy theories and I am in no conspiracy against the SAS Labs products, no matter what Positron thinks in his acute paranoia and alledges. I also do not suggest that Positron orchestrates a consistent campaign against DIY, DHT's and the like, far be it. I leave that to others.>

Interesting since Thorsten used a non audio post and went to great lengths to retrieve postings from AA. I haven't responded in kind. I simply replied to his latest attacks on me.

You don't accept payment from customers. However, for the record, do You take payments from Dealers, Distributors, Manufacturers, or anyone else, monetarily, or non monetarily?

And no I am not trying to boost business. I just hate to see someone seemingly "scalping" money from others. I would much rather use Frank's designs than Thorsten's. That is a tip to the newbies.

By the way, I openly expressed my owning an audio company. But if someone feels I have an adgenda, no problem. But at least I have been completely open concerning this matter.
Old 23rd March 2004, 11:03 PM   #32
diyAudio Member

Default Final comments.

There isn't much here to reply too. Personal attacks from Thorsten who has had to retrieve non audio posts, and posts from another chat site. I haven't returned in kind. Sounds like you are the one who is bitter.

Any comments I have made about Mr. Olson's article are from years of testing and personal experience. And it wasn't the whole article.

I have been open to state I own an audio business. Thorsten had to be asked twice and may still be hiding things. If anyone has an agenda, it appears to be Thorsten.

<"Oh, the later comments also show an appaling lack of experience and electronic knowledge, but that baby has been long poured out with the bathwater anyway.">

One has to only look two or three posts up, or back at other strings, to see Thorsten's inexperience and lack of knowledge.

In fact, he couldn't refute one single thing I said. That speaks volumes.

<"See where I am coming from? I was strictly trying to get a business going">

I covered that last post. Out of context I see Thorsten.

I don't need to push sales. My products, reviews, and comparisons to other brands speak for themselves. On the other hand, Thorsten hasn't produced one review. So how good are his? Well, I would rather have Frank's than Thorsten's any day. Tip for the newbies.

<"It is my considered opinion that Positron went way of the deep end and simply cannot handle reality. There are (mental health) professionals who can help, even in cases of extreme and unjustified paranoia like this one.">

Personal attack again.

Usually, "Newton" the one boasting himself as you have, is the one who isn't being praised by anyone else.

The rest is dribble. Just take a look at past postings and how I caught him over and over in all sorts of unsavory activity.

I would guess, all who have seen this string have already made up their minds.

So no need to post anymore. Continue if you want Thorsten. No one is stopping you from making a fool out of yourself.

Hide this!Advertise here!