• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Aikido LV: Wall wart ripple & rc filter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Maybe I'm being picky on this subject but thinking about the interesting responses some members have posted, other doubts arise. For example, if the aikido earth ground depends on the connection to the grounded power amp, but would happen if the power amp is not properly grounded? I mean: imagine you use the LV Aikido line stage connected to a headphone amp with the same kind of floating power supply. Or a battery powered headphone amp. Then both preamp and amp are "floating", not grounded! Risky?

For some reason, Wingding, I get the impression you live in the US - if that's the case, then there's another option for power supplies to suit and that's the military/industrial disposal centres (truck, cb radio, aircraft, etc) - think 'outside the square', and all that - just a suggestion, mind you ...

I would encourage you to go the way of a 'proper' power supply that has the provision of a chassis earth connection - maybe it'll cost you a few extra bucks but even tho it's supposed to be 'just a low voltage supply project', there's nothing quite like building well to give extra confidence in your project

On the other hand, you could also start off initially by using a couple of car batteries and go from there

I use the ground floating network as Steve described above (post #18) everywhere - cd, preamp, etc using a 100R resistor, power amps use 10R resistors, and so on - this way, the earth connection still goes to the chassis but avoids creating earth loops

The 35 volt Antek migh be a little marginal voltage wise

Wushuliu,

35 volts by the time you rectify it with some diode losses might not give you 48 volts. Please see attached manual from the old Aikido 24 volt board. See page 13 of the manual for a 24 volt supply. Double the voltage of the transformer and the caps for your 48 volt supply. MUR 410 diodes would work well. You would still likely need a resistor between the output of PS and your LV board to burn off a little extra voltage. If you don't want to use a choke put a resistor in its place. You'll have to mess around with a few values of resistor to get 48 volts out. Don't use a trans with a marginal current rating. About double the AC current of what you'll need for DC is a good place to start. A Digikey part no. 1295-1111-ND would work fine. Connect the two secondaries in series.

Cheers, Steve

Attachments

• 24V_Aikido_Stereo_Rev_A user guide.pdf
    798.5 KB · Views: 64
Wushuliu,

35 volts by the time you rectify it with some diode losses might not give you 48 volts. Please see attached manual from the old Aikido 24 volt board. See page 13 of the manual for a 24 volt supply. Double the voltage of the transformer and the caps for your 48 volt supply. MUR 410 diodes would work well. You would still likely need a resistor between the output of PS and your LV board to burn off a little extra voltage. If you don't want to use a choke put a resistor in its place. You'll have to mess around with a few values of resistor to get 48 volts out. Don't use a trans with a marginal current rating. About double the AC current of what you'll need for DC is a good place to start. A Digikey part no. 1295-1111-ND would work fine. Connect the two secondaries in series.

Cheers, Steve

Thanks!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.