Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

6L6 quad push pull monoblock project
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th September 2017, 04:48 PM   #51
audiowize is offline audiowize  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to audiowize
You can increase the performance of your LTP by using the B- supply instead of ground.
Old 23rd September 2017, 12:34 PM   #52
Salectric is offline Salectric  United States
diyAudio Member

Thomas, you have a lot of capacitance (270uf total) on your rectifiers. I would be concerned about premature failures of your 5U4GBs. Have you tried disconnecting the first quad of 220uf series/parallel caps? That would lower the total to 50uf which would be much easier on the tubes. I have a similar PS on my KT120 monoblocks with a pair of 5U4GBs feeding 100uf and that has worked pretty well, but even with 100uf I have to replace the rectifiers every 2 or 3 years.
Old 23rd September 2017, 05:26 PM   #53
thomasweissbach is offline thomasweissbach  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Hi Salectric
I thought that the rectifier tube only sees the first caps right after it...

On the other hand, the amp is dead (!!!) quiet, and if this is coming to the price of 4 rectifier tubes, it is fine for me.

My parasound preamp induces the hum in my chain and will soon be replaced by something more quiet.

But this is an important Info for people that might copy the schematic (but its probably not exotic enough). Thanks a lot.

Thomas
Old 23rd September 2017, 06:28 PM   #54
Salectric is offline Salectric  United States
diyAudio Member

The series/parallel set of 4 caps is in parallel with the first set of caps. There is no choke or resistor between them so the two networks are all seen by the rectifier tubes. At least that's how the wiring is shown on your schematic.
Old 23rd September 2017, 06:45 PM   #55
diyAudio Member

You're right. Then I should have placed a resistor between the two sets of caps. Thanks.
Old 24th September 2017, 09:16 PM   #56
DAK808 is offline DAK808  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasweissbach View Post
You're right. Then I should have placed a resistor between the two sets of caps. Thanks.
Nice build. Who made your chassis?
Old 30th September 2017, 02:14 PM   #57
diyAudio Member

Hi DAK808
It is made of Industrial Aluminium profiles for automation purposes.
I bought the parts from a German company specialized in supplying these parts customized.
The panels are 8mm Aluminium and the lids and bottoms of the compartment are 6mm.
The whole chassis weighs about 45kg, and the rest including the transformers another 45kg.
All in all heavy enough to ensure that my wife does not through it out of the house.
Old 30th September 2017, 06:41 PM   #58
Alllensoncanon is offline Alllensoncanon
diyAudio Member

You should add a pre-amp on the top. It should then weight about the same as a small piano
Old 2nd October 2017, 10:18 PM   #59
DAK808 is offline DAK808  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasweissbach View Post
Hi DAK808
It is made of Industrial Aluminium profiles for automation purposes.
I bought the parts from a German company specialized in supplying these parts customized.
The panels are 8mm Aluminium and the lids and bottoms of the compartment are 6mm.
The whole chassis weighs about 45kg, and the rest including the transformers another 45kg.
All in all heavy enough to ensure that my wife does not through it out of the house.
Ah, the old too heavy to move ruse... I also do that with my personal amps. It also deters thieves, too.

6L6 quad push pull monoblock projectHide this!Advertise here!