• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Linkwitz transform w. tubes?

Tube LTC, yay or nay?

• Cool idea, I like it!

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • You're crazy...

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • No, just NO!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've been wanting to build something with tubes but try as I might, it's been difficult to come up with something that would fit into my current rig.
So, here's a crazy idea... is there anyone who's tried building a LTC (Linkwitz Transform Cirquit) with tubes? Am I just being stupid for even entertaining the notion?
I really don't know if it's even a viable idea, that's why I'm asking you guys to chime in on the matter. :D

I never tried it, but there is no reason why it couldn't be done with tubes. If you are not afraid of lengthy calculations and if you want to keep the number of tubes small, this could be an alternative to the Linkwitz transform circuit:

https://linearaudio.net/article-detail/2101

The advantage is that it is based on voltage followers, which could be implemented as simple cathode followers.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Early op-amp theory revolved around analog computers which would do a computation (usually in time, because Integrators are powerful), and then HOLD the result so it could be read on a DC meter. (Also HOLD in the pre-set before the computation.)

While I can agree that "opamp without DC response" sounds silly, in Audio this is usaully what we want. It is "nice" to know there are no subsonic poles/zeros to skew our audio response. In practice we are smart enough to allow for them.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.