• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Tube preamp huge DC thump!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Slightly off-topic, but:

Has anyone practical experience to share concerning tube power amps and turn-on thumps? Does one need muting circuitry in the speaker output?

So far, I didn't think about this problem, as my test setup behaves very quiet during power-up.

Just been lucky up to now?

Regards,
Rundmaus

Excuse me for not reading the entire thread, so I don't know if this has been posted. I have a tube amp for my main speakers, and a ss for the woofers. I have a surround sound pre amp and a home brew active crossover. To power every thing up, I have the pre amp trigger a relay in a power board, thus everything powers up at the same time. The ss amp gets a pop/thump from the crossover powering up. I simply built a simple timer circuit with a 555 chip to trigger a relay to delay the ss amp power up for a few seconds. Problem solved and no mute circuit in the signal path.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.