• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

New speaker for transcendent T8

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am currently building a Transcendent T8 OTL and I am planning a new speaker as my new project. The driver that I like is 7' or 8' Eton. However, I have heard that Eton driver is very difficult to drive and I woulder if it is a good choice for my T8.

My T8 is a mono block which produce 40W for 4ohms speakers and 80W for 8 ohms speakers.

Thanks

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

The driver that I like is 7' or 8' Eton. However, I have heard that Eton driver is very difficult to drive and I woulder if it is a good choice for my T8.

Without knowing exactly what driver it is it's a little hard to tell...
I assume it has a wild impedance curve?

Under most circumstances this can be corrected for with a network put at the terminals.

Either way, if it a difficult speaker to drive it's likely to be a difficult one for most amps.

Cheers,;)

Check the specs on the driver. What your looking for is the sensitivity rating in db. if it is above 87 or so you should be just fine as long as you box it right (making sure its the right size and sealed tightly). I have not used the T8 nor the Eatons though so my information is all just based on typical speaker and amplifier paring.

Milo

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

i am just wondering if any one here used T8 to drive Avalon before?

If it's the bigger Avalons you're talking about_ the coffins as we nickname them_ then forget it.

OTL or not, power is power and those speakers need at 200W to come alive.

OTOH, it would help if you'd be a little more specific...It's not as if Avalon only manufactures one speaker, right?

Cheers,;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.