• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Tube Recommendation

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've read these forums and did some searching on the web, but now more confused than ever...

I use the Golden Dragon EL34 tubes (purchased a few years ago) in my Van Alstine mod'ed Dynaco Stereo 70. The sound was absolutley gorgeous! But one of the tubes died, so now I want to buy a matched quad set. My father owns a pair of 120wpc VAC Monoblocks (which VAC soley used Golden Dragon), and again, the VAC's sounded awesome. He too needs a complete re-tube.

Reading about failure rates, black markets and company take-overs, I have no idea of what tube brands to buy!

In keeping a similar sound to the Golden Dragon tubes, what brands should I be looking at? With sound being very important, I'm also looking for reliability and longevity.

Also, are Golden Dragon tubes still available in the US (links appreciated)? What tube brands would you recommend that would sound close to the Golden Dragons without going so far over-budget?

Please, any help???

EL34 tubes

Hi FrankRoss

I've been using EI's E34L in my homebrew push-pull EL34 amp for about 8 months now. They're supposed to give 15% more output than a EL34. From what I can tell by ear they do seem to be more sensitive. I do know they require less bias voltage than a standard EL34. I have them running 38mA each (440V = 16.72 watts dissipation).
They sound a little on the bright side compared to a Sovtek, I like them and the seem to be reliable so far. IMHO they would be perfect for your mod'ed Dyna. They come in blue or clear glass. They're both the same except for the cost. I got the blue ones just for the looks. :D

Wayne :)

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

I've been using EI's E34L in my homebrew push-pull EL34 amp for about 8 months now.

To the best of my knowledge, EI never made any E34Ls. Tesla did and JJ continues to do so.

Maybe some Chinese manufacturer labeled theirs E34L as well, dunno.

The TESLAs (NOS) are the best EL34s I've seen over the past 20 years and sounded excellent.

BTW, the EIs are tetrodes like the US 6CA7 and they also manufacture the fat bulb 6CA7.
I don't know how good these are but I'd expect them to last longer than any Chinese EL34.

Both the Svets and Sovteks should be fine as should the JJs but to my ears, nothing beats a NOS US 6CA7 as far as EL34 equivalents go.

Cheers, ;)

>>nothing beats a NOS US 6CA7 as far as EL34 equivalents go

Are you saying that I can drop the 6CA7's in as a direct replacement to the EL34 - with NO modifications to the amp?

I still would like my original questions answered, as far as what tubes are very similar in sound to the Golden Dragon, and can Golden Dragon be had in the US? Also, what about the black market, re-labels, buy-outs, etc.

I'm a novice about these things, and would like a formal education, if you would be so kind...

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Are you saying that I can drop the 6CA7's in as a direct replacement to the EL34 - with NO modifications to the amp?

Sure can.

I still would like my original questions answered, as far as what tubes are very similar in sound to the Golden Dragon, and can Golden Dragon be had in the US? Also, what about the black market, re-labels, buy-outs, etc.

Golden Dragon is nothing more than a brandname used to market the Chinese made Shuguang tubes.

In the U.S. the now defunct Svetlana Electronic Devices were distributing them. PM Components are said to be negotiating to take over the remnants of SED and market their Golden Dragon brand through that channel through under their own management.
At least that's what rumour has...

In the mean time you can still buy Golden Dragon tubes in the US from Evatco and at Vacuumtubes dor com amongst others.

Keep your eyes open as you'll even find USSR tubes branded Golden Dragon...They're really doing the best they can to make the market as transparent as can be....:rolleyes:

Cheers,;)

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

So what are the differences between the EL34 and 6CA7? What makes them interchangeable?

The EL34 (European code) is a penthode, the 6CA7 (US code) a tetrode other than that they are electrically interchangeable.

As for sound, what can I say?
I just happen to like the 6CA7 better in the bass department, more authority if you like.

Nowadays, I'd stick with the EL34s or Yugo 6CA7s as whatever is left of the original US manufactured 6CA7s is either too pricey or just downright flaky.
Not something I'd be throwing money at as a beginning tube user anyway.

Cheers,;)

Hi

Well I am shure to get flamed for this but, Mullard is the best.
u can pick up tested NOS matched el34's every week on ebay
usualy prices go to about £70 a pair but are well worth it
thay last longer and sound lovely compaired to most other
manufacturers

Tip: do a bit reaserch and you will be surprised that some other
branded valves were actualy manufactured by Mullard GB
so if you are smarter than the next person about this you could
pick up Mullards cheaper.

matching batch codes is probly a better way to determine matching as most people that test valves on testers are
going to damage the valve matching them unless thay realy know
how to use a valve tester(if indeed it is a proper valve tester
where u can adjust the voltages etc on diffrent electrodes
and not just one of the type testers that give u the OK valve is
working type tester, like some of the mullard and avo testers.

stormy

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Well I am shure to get flamed for this but, Mullard is the best.

Here's your flame:

For the past 25 years at least all those Mullard EL34s were made by Tesla in Tchecoslavakia.

Once you know the meaning of date stamps and factory codes it's not that hard to figure out who made what, where and when.

Sorry to burst the bubble.

Cheers,;)

fdegrove said:
Hi,

Here's your flame:

For the past 25 years at least all those Mullard EL34s were made by Tesla in Tchecoslavakia.

Once you know the meaning of date stamps and factory codes it's not that hard to figure out who made what, where and when.

Sorry to burst the bubble.

Cheers,;)

lol thats ok i wasnt in a bubble
When I said mullard i shude have added GB
I just take for granted people know what im talking about.

Mullard GB badged valves for other companies and if the owner didnt know the origin the you can get a bargain.

I must apolagise again my age is showing, I probably havn't bought a brand new valve for over 30 years. always NOS

Stormy

fdegrove said:
The EL34 (European code) is a penthode, the 6CA7 (US code) a tetrode other than that they are electrically interchangeable.

I'm under the impression that the two technically have different power ratings; with the EL34 is only rated at 25w whilst the 6CA7 is supposed to be able to do 35w.
My understanding was that this was done to 'jump' the patent holds on the original EL34 design but not the Specs. So the North American version evolved to sub it, and added a larger Power rating for better durability.

As noted though, all other specs are interchangable between the two types.

Re: G.B. Mullard EL34

I've gotta say I'm also on Shifty's side on this one. The Mullard sounds great. <drool> ...Better have your Platinum Amex card handy though!

I haven't had much experience with current EL34/6CA7 varieties (too broke :-( ). I think I had a set of the Mullard/Tesla's that Frank was talking about. - 'Slimmies' with a dimple on the top of the glass envelope. They sounded (surprisingly) quite pleasant (though not up with the 'genuine' Mullard article :tongue: )

fdegrove originally posted

Sorry to burst your bubble Frank, but a 6CA7 is a true pentode not a beam tetrode. They actually have a true wire suppressor grid (grid No. 3). That's also according to every Tube data book I've ever seen, GE 14th edition 1972, RCA RC-29 1975 etc. Have a look here:
www.hereford.ampr.org/cgi-bin/tube?tube=6CA7

I have seen the insides of many 6CA7's, EL34's and Beam tetrodes (6L6GC, 7591, 6JE6 etc.) which have beam forming plates. My father had several amps from the late 1950's and early 1960's with original GE 6CA7's in them. In the early 70's I replaced them with Westinghouse 6CA7's. All of them had wire suppressor grids.

originally posted by Majestic:
I'm under the impression that the two technically have different power ratings; with the EL34 is only rated at 25w whilst the 6CA7 is supposed to be able to do 35w.

Not that I'm aware of, I believe the 6CA7's had a bigger glass bulb and larger plate structure. They're both rated at 25W. Back in the 70's and 80"s we refered to the EL34 as continental slimmies. Back then some of the EL34's were unreliable, couldn't push them near 500V without runaway unless you used a unreasonably high bias voltage, near cutoff.

Cheers everyone
Wayne;)

cogsncogs said:

Not that I'm aware of, I believe the 6CA7's had a bigger glass bulb and larger plate structure. They're both rated at 25W. Back in the 70's and 80"s we refered to the EL34 as continental slimmies. Back then some of the EL34's were unreliable, couldn't push them near 500V without runaway unless you used a unreasonably high bias voltage, near cutoff.
Every datasheet I've consulted seems to confirm your reply, Wayne. Curious. I *have* read the above elsewhere, but it seems the original author might have been in error themselves.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

My understanding was that this was done to 'jump' the patent holds on the original EL34 design but not the Specs. So the North American version evolved to sub it, and added a larger Power rating for better durability.

Yes and no....
The patent was bought by RCA so there was no reason for them to circumvent it.
However, in Europe this patent was circumvented for a long period.

I think I had a set of the Mullard/Tesla's that Frank was talking about. - 'Slimmies' with a dimple on the top of the glass envelope.

If they look as you describe then they aren't Teslas either but Ei.
The Tesla are a perfect carbon copy of the original brown base Mullards with a flat (rounded) top, no dimple.

Sorry to burst your bubble Frank, but a 6CA7 is a true pentode not a beam tetrode.

There's no bubble to burst except perhaps the fact that not ALL 6CA7s were beam power tetrodes.
Databooks don't always mention everything that's actually inside the tube for whatever reason.

Cheers,;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.