• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Planning 6sn7 Aikido build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok, so I'm starting to come up with the basic layout of how I want to build this Aikido and thought I'd try to get some opinions. I plan on using the Mono Octal boards from GlassWare. I want the tubes to stick out of the top of my chassis and didn't like how bunched together the tubes are on the stereo boards. Since I planned on using the mono boards, I thought why not just make it 100% dual mono with a seperate transformer, B+ power supply, and heater supply for each channel. My original choices were a Hammond transformer for each channel, 2 pcb's for B+ that had a socket for a tube rectifier and layout that allowed for CRC or CLC, and 2 pcb's for H+ that allowed for 6.3v or 12.6v just by moving a jumper so I could also run 12sn7 tubes.

This is obviously going to add a huge amount to the final price tag. My question is, would this be complete overkill? Also, what are everyone's thoughts on solid state vs tube rectifiers for the Aikido?

First, do you really need preamp with gain? If not, it is better to build just buffer for driving long cables and/or to match impedance between your source and poweramp.

As for tube vs ss rectification. I think it is personal preference. Tube rect will give you soft start, no switching artefacts and higher B+ voltage drop. SS is cheaper and simpler. Both works and sound great.

If you do not need gain it is certainly worth looking at the Aikido Cathode Followers. I've built both the ACF-2 in octal and the original ACF with a PS-1 power supply. Very happy with them. Glassware also offers a tube based power supply board.

I originally built a completely dual mono octal Aikido and it had way to much gain for my setup. After building the ACF with the PS-1 I found that I preferred it to the standard aikido.

KC

You could also consider the CCDA circuit. I know he makes one for phono but not sure about a line amp. I've built an ACF-2, a CCDA, and Aikido and they are all great but the CCDA is my favourite so far.
2 fewer tubes, and since it basically appears as a resistance the power supply can be simple (or get a $10 module from eBay to create your B+ from 12V and use a 12V LED power supply, it works flawlessly and since the freq is ~75khz you can use smaller caps/resistor values in the decoupling filter).

Don't use it with a choke filter though, when I tried with a 4.5H choke it worked but got much hotter (I'm guessing it went into oscillation)

DC-DC +45-390V Boost Buck Converter Adjustable Power Supply Constant Current | eBay

To your original question though for an Aikido (or any other amp really) rectification is a personal choice. A tube gives you a slow turn on for B+ but it wastes power and a delay can be made with a cheap $1 10 second delay board from ebay.

12V Delay Adjustable Timer Relay Switch Module 0-10 Second NE555 Oscillator | eBay

A properly designed power supply shouldn't "sound" like anything. To the circuit it should be a steady supply of electrons of unknown origin. That's my opinion anyway, YMMV :)

Last edited:
You guys have definitely made some suggestions that has me thinking of things I never considered. I listen to 95% vinyl and I have to turn my volume to about 1 o'clock for my listening level. When playing a cd, I only go to about 9-10 o'clock on the dial. I thought I read somewhere that the preamp in the Marantz had a gain of 30. The Aikido has a gain of 10 with 6sn7's, 7.5 with 6bl7's, or 5 with 6bx7's. I figured I'd be alright with these options for now and when I build my tube power amp, I can tailor it to work with the gain of the Aikido. I'm not too worried about the money, I want these amps to be my end pieces. I was just wondering if it would be a waste to go full mono, if a simpler power supply would sound close enough.

I rigged up an Alps Blue Velvet with rca cables to try as a temporary passive preamp. I hooked it between my cd player and the "main in" on my 2270 and it definitely has enough gain. I still need to experiment with my phono preamp some more...it's a Hagerman Cornet 2, and I tend to run mostly high output cartridges so I'll probably be good there too.

So, I probably would be better off going with a tube buffer, right? Since it is much simpler than a full preamp, it should sound more transparent to the source, plus I could afford better parts as well.

I haven't really looked at what power amp I want to build, I was originally thinking a Bob Latino ST-120. I know it depends, but do tube amps generally have comparable gain to SS amps such as the amp section in my 2270?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.