• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Possible to add a Pre out to a tube amp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello guys.

I am not well skilled in DIY audio and hope this isn't an obvious question, i did some google without an obvious answer.,

I am thinking of buying a stereo tube amp but would love to Bi amp so would like to have a pre out controlled via the volume knob. Is this possible to add if the amp doesn't have one.

The amp in question is an ebay " Music Angel" amplifier which I have the opportunity to get very very cheap.

I would prefer not to get into the debate of " get a different amp" as at the price I can get it for, if it can be done would be worth while

Thanks

Craig

Joined 2011
I am thinking of buying a stereo tube amp but would love to Bi amp so would
like to have a pre out controlled via the volume knob.

It appears there are 3 inputs on the rear, so trace the cables back from one pair of the inputs,
and disconnect the far ends of the hot wires. Connect those ends to the volume control's wipers instead.
The ground leads in the cables can remain as they are. Those inputs are now volume-controlled outputs.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Ideally you should take the signal from the wiper of the volume control and feed it into a buffer amplifier. The output of the buffer would be the 'line out' adjustable via the volume control.

Omitting the buffer adds to many variables and is not likely to be satisfactory in the long run.

Depending on the existing circuit within the amp, there may be the possibility of taking a buffered feed already... we would have to see the circuit though.

Adding an AC coupled opamp buffer to a valve amp would be straightforward and use a minimum of parts but you would need to be able to figure the internals out to do it.

Thanks guys, here I have attached a photo of the underside.

Hopefully this may help, but certainly sounds do-able.

Attachments

• tube.jpg
    tube.jpg
    215.2 KB · Views: 115
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
^ As rayma say really. If the low voltage supply is clean and rated at 12 volts upward then a simple opamp or transistor emitter follower would suffice. To do it neatly would need a small PCB securing to the chassis though.

Joined 2011
^ As rayma say really. If the low voltage supply is clean and rated at 12 volts upward
then a simple opamp or transistor emitter follower would suffice. To do it neatly would
need a small PCB securing to the chassis though.

I would probably use an external buffer box, ebay or self-built, it's easier.
A foot of cable off the wipers isn't going to have much HF effect.
Some reverse engineering would be necessary in the amp's grounding system
to add an active circuit inside, but it would be a useful learning project.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.