• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Power Supply - 6SN7 KT88 PP Amp 50W

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
KT88 stereo 50W PP power transformer..?

Hi,

If I may, I'd like some recommandation since my need are very similar as the OP.

I'd like to build a STEREO (single chassis) KT88 PP 50W, UL, cathode bias using 6K6 OPT, and would simply want to verify if a single power transformer rated 800Vct (400-0-400), 535mA (Hammond 278cx) would be sufficient (not struggle) to power a stereo KT88 50W amp as shown in the attached typical KT88 spec. I would be using SS diodes

Looks like I would need to supply 500Vdc at 400mADC + a little bit more for the pre-amp section.

I plan to use the Full wave capacitor input set-up, see config supply pdf attached.

Thanks a lot,
Eric

Attachments

• KT88 UL 50W.pdf
    484.2 KB · Views: 140
  • Config supplies.pdf
    253.1 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
Hi,

If I may, I'd like some recommandation since my need are very similar as the OP.

I'd like to build a STEREO (single chassis) KT88 PP 50W, UL, cathode bias using 6K6 OPT, and would simply want to verify if a single power transformer rated 800Vct (400-0-400), 535mA (Hammond 278cx) would be sufficient (not struggle) to power a stereo KT88 50W amp as shown in the attached typical KT88 spec. I would be using SS diodes

Looks like I would need to supply 500Vdc at 400mADC + a little bit more for the pre-amp section.

I plan to use the Full wave capacitor input set-up, see config supply pdf attached.

Thanks a lot,
Eric

I use this transformer (HV winding only) for a PPP 6P3S (8 tubes, 420V, 60ma/tube plus driver and phase) without issue. It hums, though (mechanical noise from endcaps). I wrote Hammond and asked them if it was normal and if it was normal to run 85+c at it's rated output. They did some tests, reversed a previous engineering change and send me an engineering sample free of charge. Quality company if you ask me. Also I've used those Triad C14-C chokes with great success. Can't go wrong for the money, either.

You might want to consider the 378CX instead for it's better quality and the added bonus of a bias tap.
http://www.a1parts.ca/transformers/Hammond 300 Series Plate & Filament Power.htm
I can't find Hammond anything cheaper than at A1 Parts.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for the heads up regarding the hum + xtrm running hot, whenever I design something my temp. limit is usually 45C max. I'll forget about the 278CX.

I never had any issue with Antek transformer so I wonder if their model would work OK in my application ; AS-4T400 - 400VA 400V Transformer - AnTek Products Corp

p.s. Nice hint about A1 Parts, they do have great price for Hammond xtrm.

Thanks,
Eric

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.