• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Dropping mains voltage

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a small tube preamp that requires 100v mains input. It pulls 1/4 of an amp @100v. Instead of using it with a variac I need to mount something inside the chassis to do the job.

What are some of the best ways to do this? I know a 100 ohm resistor will work but that is probably the worst way to do it. It will drop too much during start up due to the heater inrush current. Not to mention lots of heat or I need a large resistor like 20w.

I was thinking of using a 24v isolation transformer. I can fit a 12VA in there.

L1 is the secondary and L2 is the primary of the isolation transformer. Seems to work in theory. Is there anything I should know? Is there a better method?

Attachments

• 2017-03-03-195218_1600x900_scrot.png
    2017-03-03-195218_1600x900_scrot.png
    28.4 KB · Views: 123
I will second and third the bucking xfmr. It's really the better way to go, particularly as compared to using a power resistor. BTW you never mentioned what your mains supply voltage is - it looks like you're in the USA, so I'd assume 117-120V average?

Seems like a 16-20V xfmr would be the ticket.

The line here is 125v

If you have a regular 125V line, then you should be just ducky with a 24V bucking xfmr. 24V is nice, as it's a standard industrial control voltage, and parts should be easy to find.

As others note, rate it 2X the total requirement of the load (so 500mA) and you should be just fine. Far better than a resistance or even a different rectifier - as either of the latter has much more effect on the Zout of the supply.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I'm not sure what's so bad about a resistor. A preamp is a pretty steady load. Prolonged start from cold heaters could be a benefit. 6 Watts is not a huge waste. If waste really mattered you'd get an opamp (oh, now I will be ejected for naughty-word). In winter the heat is a bonus (cold here tonight).

The "problem" I see is that "1/4 Amp" is maybe nominal or guesswork? Then you may be juggling 100, 115, 130 Ohm resistors to hit your target. (Get a 20-bag of 10r 1W and series them all, short-out until you find 100V, then buy that size in 20W.)

So, going by legendre's suggestion, you connect the 25V secondary of the AC transformer in series with the AC primary of your preamp's power transformer, in reverse phase so that it subtracted

Yup, exactly. If connected in-phase, the bucking xfmr will +raise+ the B+ output - if wired anti-phase, it +reduces+ the B+ output. The latter is what we want, in this case.

If you're unsure of the phasing, just hook it up one way, bring it up on a variac and see if the output is higher or lower than you'd expect. If it's higher, reverse the connections - if it's lower, then you're good! It's a Good Idea to use a variac for this, as you might over-voltage something if you mis-wire and send it full voltage.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.