• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

BLue hue

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Sounds perfectly normal Enjoy

Attachments

• glow.jpg
    glow.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 240
Brap said:
It's on the glass portion, near the "shoulder" if that 's the correct terminology

fdegrove said:
Maybe someone should explain, once again, where the blue hue comes from and how it will affect the useful life of a tube?

Yeah yeah, blue glow on glass is perfectly fine, blue/purple/white glow from inside the structure might not be. I have some Russian 6L6s (erm.. 6pi3C-E or whatever) where the plate coating fluoresces light blue where the electron beam strikes it. I can barely see (due to visual obstructions and low current) the same in Hept'AU7's 12AU7s too. The real thing that you should worry about is a discharge between the cathode and plate, not a generic glow from inside.

Tim

Yeah, this is pretty simple. There are often just impurities in the glass or elsewhere in the tube that are easy to ionize and also emit light when this occurs. If the color shows right on the glass and not just floating inside the tube, then I see no problem.

I, like others here, have had tubes with a light glow on the glass or plates. They usually give me plenty of fine operation just like a tube that doesn't glow unusually.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.