• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Choosing a suitable 50W cathode resistor

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

What brand of resistors do you use for this purpose?

Jean Hiraga recommends Dale or Sfernice NI WW.
I think to Sfernice should be available in Spain and it wouldn't surpise me if they're part of the Vishay group of companis as well since Vishays' been gobbling up quite a lot of companies the past ten years.

The ones shown in the Vishay datasheet are thick film types, I never tried those but I hear WW is to be preferred.

Cheers,;)

pingfloid said:
I am trying to find a 360 Ohm / 50W non inductive resistor for thisKT88 SE amp

Wich one would you choose from this list? (Vishai Components)

I think that maybe the RTO50 type would be ok, but there is also the RCH and RTOP that maybe could be fine.

What brand of resistors do you use for this purpose?

Cheers

Hello ,
Why non-inductive , I would have thought a 50watt aluminium clad wirewound bolted to the chassis do the trick ? I believe the 'non inductive' metal film power resistors can be noisy but will inductance be an issue with a 360 ohm resistor ?

316a

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Why non-inductive , I would have thought a 50watt aluminium clad wirewound would bolted to the chassis do the trick ?

Just like the HF correction cap across the primary of the OPT, the use of a non-inductive WW is part of the target here, namely to build a SE amp with as linear as possible response upto 100K Hz.

In his designs Jean Hiraga always recommends the use of non-inductive WWs.

Noise shouldn't be a big issue here as a NI WW should have no more than twice the noise of a regular WW resistor; 360 Ohm or 720 Ohm...

Cheers,;)

Ah !

fdegrove said:
Hi,

Just like the HF correction cap across the primary of the OPT, the use of a non-inductive WW is part of the target here, namely to build a SE amp with as linear as possible response upto 100K Hz.

In his designs Jean Hiraga always recommends the use of non-inductive WWs.

Noise shouldn't be a big issue here as a NI WW should have no more than twice the noise of a regular WW resistor; 360 Ohm or 720 Ohm...

Cheers,;)

...but yes 100kHz with SRPP ECC83 input stage ? More than marginal to say the least especially if the amp is preceeded by a passive line stage .

316a

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Does WW means WireWound? In that case they maybe inductive. Isn't it?

WW means WireWound, the suffix NI stands for non-inductive.

That NI types are usually more than twice as expensive as the regular ones.
The way they arrive at cancelling out inductance is by coiling the ni-chrome wire twice, once going the other coming.
This is known as the Ayrton-Perry technique after its inventor.

...but yes 100kHz with SRPP ECC83 input stage ?

Global NFB is applied and the amp does meet the target spec.

I would make sure that a 5W resistor is VERY well heatsinked running that close to spec since heating leads to derating

That plus the fact that you need to consider fault conditions as well.

Cheers,;)

fdegrove said:
That plus the fact that you need to consider fault conditions as well.

1. Resistors are rated for typical conditions at a typical temperature (usually 25øC). A heatsinked type may be rated for case at 25øC (like a transistor) whereas a sand resistor may be rated for ambient instead.
2. 5W is about 70% of the actual load. On a *really* hot day (or a typical one in India, hehe) in a stuffy chassis, it might have trouble.
3. Ah, I see you believe in burning a $30 tube to save a $.10 resistor...

Tim

Salomonic solution

While I try to find that resistor, I have decided to parallel 25 resistors 9k1, 5W each. :tongue:

Attachments

• restist_resize.jpg
    restist_resize.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 164
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.