• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Spud and a half

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Playing around with current drive amp designs I got an inspiration for something rather different. One could rework it as a current amp but this one is a more conventional voltage source amp.

The 6GV8/ECL85 seems to be somewhat limited as and single bottle per channel amp in part due to the triode not being up to the task. However it has pretty good gm so i though why not use the triode section as the bottom half of a cascode and add a high mu triode for the top tube.

Presto: Spud and a half.

attachment.php

Any merit?

mike

Attachments

• SpudAndHalf.png
    SpudAndHalf.png
    51.5 KB · Views: 700
  • VoltageDriveSE_ECL85.asc
    5.1 KB · Views: 28
Bypassing the output stage bias resistor ups gain some making the circuit as drawn able to produce full output with 2Vrms input which it couldn't do before. Also distortion spectrum appears better. Without the cascode gain would be insufficient for applying FB as near as I can tell.

Oh, and C5 is just there as a reminder. It will of course be feed from rectified AC not a true DC voltage source.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
The screen grid unbypassed increases undesirabily the output impedance looking from the transformer, decreasing the damping of the mechanical resonance of the speaker. Dislike this feature.

You are referring to a cap from screen to cathode? I did forget to consider bypass cap but did not know this effected Zout of the amp. The main reason for bypass is noise avoidance right?

I am not necessarily averse to higher Zout in some applications. in fact this idea came to me when working on a current source amp idea.

Yes. It is desirable to have the screen grid bypassed to cathode. The screen external resistance can be viewed as a cathode resistance µ(g2-g1) times less than the actual g2 resistor, but "amplified" by the [µ(g1-p) +1] factor, added to the anode resistance. Try this in the simulations below, with and without screen byapss capacitor, as bigger as you can.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.