• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Matching SS radio to tube amplifier input

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone,
Here is my question for the day, my Polk Audio Sirius/XM radio tuner is looking for a load impedance of 200 ohms and into 200 ohms according to Polk Audio it will produce 1V P-P. So, at my RCA jacks if I terminate into a 200 ohm resistor, what value of cap should I use to go to the 500K volume control on the amplifier? Note, I am assuming Polk Audio is saying 200 ohms because 200 ohms will produce the cleanest audio.

Thanks
Ray

Same here.
Out of curiosity downloaded the user manual, it says nothing of the sort.
By the way 1V PP is not much, will not drive most power amps by the way, which tend to have around 1V RMS sensitivity.

Beware that standard "Tech support" is not manned by Techs at all, just your average call center minimum wage employee, armed with a preset array of standard questions and their corresponding answers, which he just reads aloud for your benefit.

200 ohms may be the output impedance of the tuner - this is quite a plausible figure. If so, this means that it needs to be loaded with something considerably more than 2000 ohms. For some reason, people often get 'output impedance' and 'recommended load impedance' completely mixed up; and not just newbies, manufacturers' specifications often get this wrong too. Not surprising that 'tech support' are also confused.

Anything over 10k will be fine.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.