• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Old grundig 3095 radio

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi one and all!

I just found an old "Grundig mejestic model 3095" in an old vintagestore.

i tried searching for its schematics on the web but came only up with a guy that sells them....

does anyone know anything about it?

b.t.w. it's in perfect working order. (price about 50 euro)

thinking of buying it and either salvage parts or use it as training by upgrading parts.......

suggestions anyone? or even better, anyone know where to find schematics for it?

I don't know of any schematics of this model, but I wouldn't take it apart if it works properly. I also would never dare to change the tubes unless they are completely defective or have already been changed to aftermarket ones. If you have a set with the original tubes in it (rare) it is most valuable if it works properly. I have two sets like this and the work beautifully.

I don't know what this model looks like, would you care to give a description of the cabinet?

You can get a schematic for the set from here:

http://www.geocities.com/radioflier.geo/

It's a pretty standard AM/FM superhet using B9A tubes with an EL84 output, plus an octal EM34 tuning indicator. These sets tend to go for a fair amount on ebay, so I reckon that 50 Euros is quite reasonable. I also believe that this was one of the first Grundigs which came with an optional 'remote control' unit employing an EC92 tube.

Hehe, I think I've seen one of those remote controls. It'd be interesting to have one of those.

Either way, I've always had a warm spot for the old Grundigs. Even though the tubes were relatively standard, there's no reason why you can't make an excellent radio from them.

Most old german radios were very good radios, telefunken being one out of a bunch that I also like a lot.

Either way, if it works, why destroy it?

i'm thinking of building an amplifier and need some experience. i thought that by restoring one or rebuilding to something else i could get just that.

this is the first thing with valves i've found......well, the had 3 more grundigs, one called 7041 and one more i can't recollect the name on.... tha later 2 were broken and cheaper, but the were also MUCH bigger. and with no car and very little workspace i thought of the smaller 3095.

Well, as for building tube amplifiers, the grundig designs aren't really what you're probably after. Rebuilding a grundig that already works will almost definitely make it work worse.

To get experience with building amps, it's usually better to try finding a kit, or find a tube amp that's a lot simple and on it's own, not in a radio.

well, perhaps "experiece" was the wrong word...

perhaps more like:
get to fiddle around with something that has to do with valves....soldering and so on, replacing components and work with something that there isn't much money to be lost in.

Yeah, you can put it that way, though, I don't usually consider grundigs for monetary value, but sentimental and antique value.

If you want to give it a cap job or something and you're good at soldering, that's good practice for sure.

Just be warned, grundigs are a real pain to work on; they're built very tightly with lots of parts in a small space. :)

oh? i opened it up and there's space alright, lots of it.

more like quite a few components i a shitload of space :)

but i would rather like it to be busted so i could repair it.......
because it doesn't feel right to perhaps destroy something like it, but a change of restistors, caps as practice and so on couldn't hurt?

it's not like you're destroyning a priced antuiqe or something....i hope.....

Well, that's surprising that there's not much under the hood. Usually they are crammed to the nines.

As far as 'priced antique' well, it's not really, but kind of on the verge of such.

The resistors probably won't be worth changing in there. And niether will the caps unless you can afford better ones. But still, if you wish to replace the caps, as long as you get good caps and do a good job, the radio can only get better. I'm not sure if replacing the caps drops the value, but I imagine it won't have too much impact. The major point is that you try to be meticulous and do a good job, that's how you can keep the value of a repaired or rebuilt piece of equipment up.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.