• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

DIY Single Ended Triode Designs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,
i was hoping some of you out there could share your impressions and recommendations for some diy single ended triode projects (i am and have been using only solid state up to this point, but now have 96db efficient speakers, so i figure its time to try this route) . preferable not kits, but if you have run across a particularily outstanding (and hopefully not too expensive) kit, i'd be all ears to that as well. thanks.

funny that you mention that as i was just about to add the postscript that solid state diy has left me somewhat miserly (i don't fancy for instance spending $4-500 on a pair of 300b's alone). so. . . actually any simple tube designs that anyone out there feels are a good introduction to the world of valves would be appreciated. (simple not only for ease of construction, but i still very much prefer the least amount of parts in the signal path) thanks.

Konnichiwa,

jesserparker said:
i was hoping some of you out there could share your impressions and recommendations for some diy single ended triode projects

Well, looking at the other stuff further down, I'd recommend a 2A3/45 Amp. If yu carefully select the Mains transformer you could also later convert to 300B's.

I'd recommend (purely on other peoples comments at this time, but people who have compared) the James 6123-HS Output transformer as an affordable choice that can be used with 45, 2A3 & 300B Outputs.

If you use a Mainstransformer with 380V + 380V AC and at least 200mA DC plus several Heater windings (James should have one that matches the Outputs) plus a nice Filter Choke you would have the basics to make an RC/LC coupled 300B Stereo Amplifier or a DC coupled 2A3/45 Amplifier.

Start using the sovtek 2A3 (which is not much more expensive than most decent Pentodes/Tetrodes), Sovtek 5U4 or the like and russian 6S45PE or 6S4PE or WE417A/5842 or 6Z9P/6688/E180F triode connected as drivers in a DC coupled Circuit like that I recommended to Arnold Cruz on Audioasylum.com a while back and you will have an excellent little Amp.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

(note - +B should read 468V!!!)

Audio Asylum Comments on Finished Amp

Audio Asylum Comments on the design reasoning

The Sovtek 2A3 will actually work as "pseudo 45" with a 5K load and will work VERY WELL under these conditions (and last to the next Iceage BTW) or you can change two resistors (the 5k1 to 3k1 and the 43R to around 27R) to acommodate the 2A3 with 60mA current and a 2k5 Load.

In fact, if you wanted to, you could make the Amp fully switchable, simply switch 8k2 in parallel with the 5k1 and switch the output transformer tap, then adjust the resistor marked 43 Ohm (which should be adjustable anyway) to establish the correct bias.

To use a 300B simply change the Amp to RC/LC coupled, self bias 1k cathode resistor and 3k5 or 5k load from the Output transformer with the 68uF & 22uF caps retained as is, suitable +B dropper for the Driver Valve and cathode RC combo.

Anyway, I hope this points you along a possible route to get something to have fun with for a long time.

Sayonara

I have been trying to build a good sounding single ended triode amp for a while, and have come to the conclusion that you need to drive it with something really grunty. Also a good power supply with a choke sounds better.

I have tried 1/2 6SL7, 1/2 6SN7, cascaded 6SN7 (300B driver!) 6SL7 SRPP (angela SRPP) and I am now using a 6SL7 cathode follower (angela easy 2A3)

I have found they are all too distorted except the cathode follower... It sounds a bit too "clean" and "dry" but it has details, slamming bass and a good amount of power. I found the other configurations were syrupy- great with vocals but a distinctive SET sound I wasn't too keen on.

There is a thread
on this.

However I am no expert, just an experimenter!

And the sovtek 2A3 (or the 6.3V version, 6B4G) is a good tube to use, but very dull to llook at. You can't see the glow! Maybe the Full music mesh plate 2A3 is more your style...

:smash: :smash:

Sorry, I don't have a schematic handy, or any way to easily draw one. Here's a description, starting from the top (B+) to the bottom (ground), if that helps.

B+: 300 - 320V
CCS load set for 20mA, I used a Bottlehead C4S
ECC99 (plate), capacitor coupled to the 2A3 grid

Under the ECC99 cathode I've had the required resistor (bypassed) to get 4V at the grid with 20mA current. I replaced that with a NiMH battery, and that's what I'm using now. The +ve of the battery goes to the cathode, -ve goes to ground. I got my batteries from Radio Shack (cordless phone rechargables, 3.6V nominal, 4.1V fully charged), make sure their AH rating is high enough to be able to handle the steady state DC current through them.

Hope that helps.

Hi Frank,

Thanks a lot...

They seem to rave about them in Stereophile. Is this good or bad? :devilr:

I was thinking of a 6BX7 driver, with rp around 1K3. I've ordered some at $US8 each.

B+, recommended by Alex Adrianov in Kiev, is 320V, 200mA, 85V of cathode bias. This is 235V across the tube, and 47W of dissipation, with max at 60W, so running at 78%, should last well, particularly if socket is raised for ventilation. They say a bit of pencil graphite rubbed on the pins prevents the filament current starvation which is the bane of these tubes.

I was thinking of a 1K:8R transformer to reduce H2/3 to the minimum. With increased voltage at B+ I should still get a good 10W.

First stage is 6SN7.

Comments?

Cheers,

Hugh

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

They seem to rave about them in Stereophile. Is this good or bad?

Depends on what side of the fence you're sitting, I suppose.;)

They say a bit of pencil graphite rubbed on the pins prevents the filament current starvation which is the bane of these tubes.

A fellow member, 316A I think, once offered the following tip to prevent carbonised heater pins: when wiring up the heater connection at the socket, just wrap the wire around it a few times than solder it. This should provide for some extra metal surface to help pass current and keep things a tad cooler.

If it were for my own use, I'd find myself some NOS Johnson septar sockets. They're the most reliable I've ever used.

Hadn't heard the graphite trick before...I wonder how that actually works.

Comments?

Sounds fine by me.

Cheers,;)

fdegrove said:
Hadn't heard the graphite trick before...I wonder how that actually works.

Graphite is greasy and conducting plus it has an inverse temperature coefficient (becomes more conducting as it's heated).
Could that help reduce the hot spots, hi resistance spots on the socket/pin interface??
I'll try that on my 300W halogen lamp contacts.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.