Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

50W monoblock "Engineers Amp"
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd January 2017, 10:39 AM   #11
jazbo8 is offline jazbo8
diyAudio Moderator

Not available on eBay, see post #1.
Old 22nd January 2017, 10:42 AM   #12
Schultz is offline Schultz  Croatia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazbo8 View Post
Not available on eBay, see post #1.
?

Looking.....

Still looking.....

It is not clear if there is or there is not pcb's for sale but on web site there is notice (somewhere) that pcb's "will" be on sale on ebay.
Old 22nd January 2017, 10:52 AM   #13
TonyTecson is offline TonyTecson  Philippines
diyAudio Moderator

it is on sale here....DIY PCB - 50 watt monoblock " Engineer's Amplifier" tube amp | eBay
Old 22nd January 2017, 02:11 PM   #14
Tubelab_com is offline Tubelab_com  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
might have burned up a few working on those 100 Watt and up earth shakers.
I don't remember blowing up a single 6HJ5 although I did find a few that were bad out of the box. They were gassy, some glowed (they were trashed), others had the creeping bias current syndrome that will eventually lead to runaway. Some of these may usable in an amp with a mosfet driving the grid, so they were marked and saved......somewhere.....maybe.

I moved all of my stuff twice before settling into this place. We had to leave Florida on 3 weeks notice, so what was an organized move turned into utter chaos, and I'm still looking for parts of projects that were planned, or in progress when the chaos hit. The worse part is finding most of a project, but the key bits are still missing after over two years. I found all the parts for a guitar that I was building except the neck......It shouldn't be too hard to find a guitar neck, but it's still missing.

While looking through an unmarked box for something else, I found Big Red #1, the original experiment. Two other boards were built, one was left in Florida, the other is part of another stalled project. Number 1, looks complete except for the missing input tubes, but the original 6HJ5's are still there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BigRed#1_x.jpg (586.6 KB, 911 views)
Old 22nd January 2017, 03:15 PM   #15
audio king is offline audio king  Canada
diyAudio Member

I've got several Dynaco MKIII's hanging around. I wonder how well these OPT's would work in this design? Primary impedance seems to be the same.
Old 22nd January 2017, 03:51 PM   #16
pmillett is offline pmillett  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoking-amp View Post
I hope there's more of those tubes left. George and friends might have burned up a few working on those 100 Watt and up earth shakers.
I checked with one vendor - RES (Vacuum Tubes Radio Tubes - 5,000 different tubes in stock - Over 10 million tubes!) - and they have 500+ 6HJ5 tubes, and literally thousands of 6GU5 tubes. And that is just one vendor. I don't think we will run out of them...

Pete
Old 22nd January 2017, 03:54 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubelab_com View Post
And only 50 watts.........
I know, I am being conservative... but it seems like many people are a risk building these things. I don't want any electrocutions, or fires...

Pete
Old 22nd January 2017, 03:57 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoking-amp View Post
Maybe the -bias V should have a Zener regulator, if the screen V is regulated.
Perhaps. But the plate current doesn't vary that much with +/-20% AC line voltage. Current does increase at lower line voltage, but since unregulated plate voltage drops, plate dissipation stays about the same.

Pete
Old 22nd January 2017, 05:26 PM   #19
smoking-amp is offline smoking-amp  United States
diyAudio Member

"and they have 500+ 6HJ5 tubes, and literally thousands of 6GU5 tubes"

That's excellent, everyone should own at least one low cost TV Sweep tube amp. Something of a "standard candle" if you will. ( Well, owners of multiple extremely expensive "audiophile" amplifiers probably should not build one of these, could cause stressed sleep. )

6EW6 is another pin compatible input tube with high gm, and quite linear. Worth a tube roll.

Last edited by smoking-amp; 22nd January 2017 at 05:32 PM.
Old 22nd January 2017, 05:27 PM   #20
jazbo8 is offline jazbo8
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schultz View Post
It is not clear if there is or there is not pcb's for sale but on web site there is notice (somewhere) that pcb's "will" be on sale on ebay.
Sorry about that, I thought Pete had his own store...

50W monoblock "Engineers Amp"Hide this!Advertise here!