• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6DJ8 hybrid headphone amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
After a long delay I have finished my hybrid. Some notes about it's architecture:

• Common cathode amplifier with active load.
  • Non inverting topology. Bipolar inverter works as a level shifter as well.
  • Class A CFP push-pull output biased to 100mA
  • Recom R-78HB6.5-0.5 SMPS module for filament (with 0.51 Ohm resistor in series to obtain 6.3 V)

Schematics:
kS8uYXq.png

lCmgDRS.png

Assembled board:
YvOLMrf.jpg

Full project in GitHub: https://github.com/e-asphyx/Single-6DJ8-Hybrid

Attachments

• hybrid.pdf
    67.2 KB · Views: 109
Last edited by a moderator:
That 47uF electrolytic cap in the feedback loop is going to trouble a lot of folks. Can you post performance measurements?

I can post SPICE files and modelled frequency response.

YF8AYWO.png

I pick up feedback signal from the output, after DC decoupling caps. So feedback circuit cutoff frequency must be as low as possible to avoid clipping at low frequency.

Attachments

• Hybrid 2.asc
    4.7 KB · Views: 50
  • ECC88.txt
    889 bytes · Views: 50
My concern is that nonlinear components in the feedback divider get their nonlinearities supersized. I believe Douglas Self has said that electrolytic capacitor distortion becomes insignificant if signal voltage across the cap stays below 80mV at the lowest frequency and highest amplitude of interest. Just shooting from the hip, it looks as if this circuit may not satisfy that criterion.

My concern is that nonlinear components in the feedback divider get their nonlinearities supersized. I believe Douglas Self has said that electrolytic capacitor distortion becomes insignificant if signal voltage across the cap stays below 80mV at the lowest frequency and highest amplitude of interest. Just shooting from the hip, it looks as if this circuit may not satisfy that criterion.

Can you give me a reference? He wrote many great books.
And thank you. I didn't think about this aspect.

In Small Signal Audio Design, published 2010, near the end of chapter two on page 60: "From this data, it appears that the AC voltage across an electrolytic capacitor should be limited to below 80 mVrms if you want to avoid distortion."

Thank you! I've found this book in PDF, will read on weekend. Expected voltage across fb cap at 20Hz is about 95mV peak to peak. At least it sounds really good, I'm satisfied.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.