diyAudio (
-   Tubes / Valves (
-   -   what the crap is this!? (

xdissent 13th March 2004 09:02 PM

what the crap is this!?
2 Attachment(s)
i REALLY want to find out what this is because its the first time i've ever seen one before and i want more! its a tube socket with a post coming from the hole in the center. i've heard that little hole called the center post before but i havent ever seen anyone actually use it for anything short of soldering a wire to ground maybe once in my life. so this post is threaded and has small terminal strips attached to it with nuts. so basically you could hold a tube and all associated components in your hand, all in one cluster. this is SUPER cool for me because i have a bunch of really narrow but very deep enclosures i want to work with in which normal term strips attached to the chassis would be hard to deal with. this way i can just build it sort of modularly and save my self a lot of headache by not having to reach way down in a box to fool with things i cant see very well. so, the question is, has anyone seen anything like this before? are these standard?! what are they called? where can i get more? its just a 9pin socket used with 12ax7s from an old old old pre amp given to me last night by my drummers mom. thanks for any info!

handsome greg

SY 13th March 2004 09:07 PM

I showed a picture of mine in the Ugly Prototypes thread. Love 'em, and would also love to know where to get more- mine came from a surplus place that only had a few.

audiobot 13th March 2004 09:32 PM

How bout this?
2 Attachment(s)
Eat you heart out guys. Phenolic with 9 very stout standoffs molded in, lettered for identification . Made by Vector some time in the distant past.

Sch3mat1c 13th March 2004 10:40 PM

I've got a few of them, silvered ceramic to be exact, and yep you guessed it, embedded in a defunct Tektronix scope plugin.

fdegrove 14th March 2004 12:40 AM

Revox, amongst others used them alot in their R2R gear.

The only source I know still stocking something like that, although 7-pin and not such high Q is this one: