Safety Practices, General and Ultra-High Voltage - Page 36 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th November 2016, 12:45 PM   #351
piano3 is offline piano3  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Safety Practices, General and Ultra-High Voltage

These are schoolgirls Bill!
Old 17th November 2016, 12:52 PM   #352
diyAudio Member

Well you didn't give the context! I used to build dangerous things at school as a pupil. Come to think of it the teachers encouraged it. We supercharged the van der graaf in the physics lab as the 'approved' version didn't do big enough sparks.
Old 17th November 2016, 12:56 PM   #353
piano3 is offline piano3  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

They are not allowed to do anything dangerous anymore, either in physics or chemistry labs. I would say that the result of this is an unawareness of (some of the) dangers in everyday life.
Old 17th November 2016, 12:59 PM   #354
diyAudio Member

I shocked my daughters chemistry teacher when I bemoaned how safe science classes are now. I am in the Heinz Wolff school of thought on this!

Screening out the danger | Personnel Today
Old 17th November 2016, 02:44 PM   #355
diyAudio Member

Quote:
"You, no doubt, are less used to looking after imbeciles than I am."
I maintained several factory assembly lines for about 10 years where the only employment requirements were a basic knowledge of the English language and punctual attendance. The plant employing about 2500 at the time had only been open for about 3 years. Accidents, fires, whole batches of bad boards or parts, and serious personal conflicts including physical violence were commonplace.

Sometimes the line bosses and their bosses were line workers that had been promoted, and nobody had any idea what they were building (complex pc boards hand stuffed with leaded parts, electronic components like RF crystals and NiCad battery cells, and microelectronic modules) or how it worked.

We had to teach people that trading your dull looking grey parts for your neighbors shiny red ones will ruin a whole batch of boards. Engraving your name in things with the laser is a No-No, so is blasting a cockroach or a mouse (really stinks up the place).

Things like eating a hamburger with one hand and operating a machine that screened lead solder paste (or worse) were acceptable behavior.

The trash can would spontaneously burst into flame and nobody understood why. Workers were told to wipe down their work area with a paper towel and acetone at the end of their shift. The acetone soaked paper towels were tossed in the trash, which was next to the line of screen printers, each powered by a brushed DC motor. Acetone has a lower flash point and a wider combustible mixture range than gasoline. They switched to Freon which made people dizzy and sick, then some synthetic stuff that was worse.

I was told to put up a barrier whenever I worked on the big laser with the covers off. The barrier was 10 mil black plastic. A 200 watt laser will blow through that in milliseconds, but we had to comply. We tuned the laser up by burning holes in 1/4 inch thick asbestos......yeah that was good for us, but SOP.

It took several years of craziness before enough intelligence infiltrated the factory to make it a first class manufacturing operation.

Now, training engineers fresh out of college in basic soldering with SMD's, tool use, and yes, especially test equipment operation is a totally different story where I could fill several pages from recent memory.

Hide this!Advertise here!