Safety Practices, General and Ultra-High Voltage - Page 27 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th May 2013, 06:23 PM   #261
opcom is offline opcom  United States
diyAudio Member

calc spreadsheet
Attached Files
File Type: zip HV probe calc.zip (4.1 KB, 28 views)
Old 19th May 2013, 12:10 AM   #262
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Gregg View Post
Please use grommets when passing cables through chassis or metal work!...
There is also flexible plastic edging that can be cut to length to fit any stamped or cut hole of a size or shape that doesn't suit a grommet - I've used that a few times for restorations.

I would also like to note that AC mains leads and plugs can get a lot of 'unknown' abuse, and anyone buying second hand should be very cautious, and at least inspect the physical quality of the cable and plug insulation, and the AC wiring and protective earthing within the equipment. It is sometimes all too easy to only do a brief inspection, or rely on a 'tagged' cable as a sign of safety.

Within old amps I'm restoring, if I can't add heatshrink to cover live terminals then I use a yellow 3M insulation tape (as used in transformers) to cover the region - more as a visual indication than a barrier (although it does provide that function to a very limited extent).
Old 23rd May 2013, 07:58 PM   #263
CV6045 is offline CV6045  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default High Voltage

JUST REMEMBER ONE THING ALWAYS KEEP ONE HAND IN YOUR POCKET WHEN WORKING ON ANY HIGH VOLTAGE (or any voltage above 150 for that matter)
Old 24th May 2013, 07:31 AM   #264
Banned

Here is a really good one for you guys xD I robbed a small pcb board for some resistors and caps from old sony reciever and powersupply/tiny transformer was mounted on a board and it had those caps I wanted so I left power chord hooked up to it and mistaken d it for my soldering Irons power chord haha see where this is going? lol So I plugged it up it was in my left hand my finger was sitting right on top of the windings.....ZAP ZAP ZAP ZAP, I I'm plugged it real quick threw that ****** clear across the room lol. So yeah PAY ATTENTION lol
Old 24th May 2013, 07:33 AM   #265
Banned

Didn't really hurt but lets just say it was a really good wake up call xD lol
Old 24th May 2013, 09:40 AM   #266
Banned

Not high-voltage by any means obviously lol, but still it tickled me lol
Old 1st June 2013, 05:46 PM   #267
opcom is offline opcom  United States
diyAudio Member

Rubber hose like automotive vacuum hose is sometimes useful in the same way that the previously mentioned edging is. It can be slit with a razor blade and fit around almost any edge. Glues on with a few dots of weatherstrip adhesive as well. Being black it usually looks OK. No claim is made for insulating qualities, just edge protection.

In case it has not been considered, negative voltage hurts just as much as positive. Those working with OTL tube designs may experience that.

So, beware the bias supply as well. -40V at the grid may start out as -100 or -150V across a filter cap.

Somewhere I read that the inverse polarity of voltage makes the opposite muscles contract. That's interesting but is it true?
Old 1st June 2013, 10:26 PM   #268
Banned

Not sure about that, been a lit up pretty bad a few times, not by the bias supply though,
Old 1st June 2013, 10:29 PM   #269
Banned

Insulating material on edges is a great idea by the way xD
Old 2nd June 2013, 12:19 PM   #270
diyAudio Member

I helped build a VHF single air-cooled valve transmitter with a 3kV 1A regulated supply. This needed respect.

Hide this!Advertise here!